The Return of the Pool That Just Won't Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect. Just wanted to make sure your CYA level doesn't end up higher than we expected after you dose.

Your next task is a simple one. Forget every test result for now except your chlorine and CYA levels. Forget the others unless we ask to help simplify things for you. Tomorrow add enough CYA to raise your level to 40ppm. As the CYA is dissolving add enough chlorine to get to 16ppm levels. Pool Math will help you with how much CYA and chlorine you need to add to reach these levels.

Last task is to read both of the following articles and ask any questions you may have. :)
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM Process
We're here to help you clear this dang beast. :)

That did it for me also! So add your 54 oz with the pump running and pouring in front of the return slowly.

IF you feel like test and dose again before you go to bed.

You can push your CYA up tomorrow BUT I would only take it to 30 for now. Don't forget to take in account you have what we THINK is about 20 so go slow. It is easier to add than to take out.

I am out for the night. Have to go get critters ready for the night.

You are on the right track now. Read up on the "homework" Lee gave you.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! No fair!! Slow down you two as I'm phone typing while holding a baby. :)

LOL Lee he is all yours now! Give baby T a kiss for me please!!!!

I did tell him to shoot for a CYA of 30 to be on the safe side though. He did the test inside due to no sun.

Yeah, I'll test for CYA again tomorrow, but for now, I'll shoot for a FC of 10 for while I'm at work. Tomorrow I'll do the math and add more stabilizer so I get to 30 (if I am indeed at 20).

Oh, one more question, when I add bleach, should I shoot for exactly the amount I want or should I go slightly over to cover any margin of error? So in this case, maybe shoot for 11 or 12 to hedge my bets.

Shouldn't be very much cya to get you to 30... if you are sitting higher than we all think you will be between 30-40 but that range is perfect. Once you can get a solid reading on cya you can punch your fc up a little higher... I maintain almost 40 cya and target 16 for slams... keeps my pool sparkling

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You won't really get anywhere faster by aiming above your Shock level. With your CYA level at 20 continue to add enough chlorine to hit your 10ppm level.

Frequent testing/dosing will payoff more than high dosing. At 10ppm FC and 20ppm CYA the chlorine is killing any algae in your water faster than it can reproduce. The more you can replenish the FC as its consumed by the algae the faster it will turn. By going over you're not likely to hurt anything, but you'll gain little as well.

Somehow I also missed your location (thank you cj3737) as being in New York. With this I also suspect your water to have some leaves and other items on the bottom. If you haven't already I would run a leaf rake over the floor a few time to make sure there are no leaves and such using up your chlorine and slowing you down.

Yeah, it's not so much leaves as it is pine cones and needles. But I have to say, that leaf thing was AMAZING! I had skimmed probably 10lbs of the stuff and thought I was done. It took me a week to get that much. Decided to try the leaf thing and it gave me this.

Thats about another 10lbs in only half an hour. Huge thumbs up for that thing. Wish I had realized I had it from the start.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Good work and keep at it! The more you can manually remove the more the chlorine can "focus" on killing the algae. Keep cleaning, testing, and adding chlorine. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.