Dismantling an Above Ground Pool

efranklin

Jul 8, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
I am in the final stages of dismantling an above ground pool. It is the Yorkshire mentioned in my signature and you can seem my previous thread here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/125085-Chance-to-take-a-deal-on-an-above-ground-pool We had delays yesterday due to weather and one of the hoses stopped draining overnight Friday night so the pool did not drain as much as I expected. It's definitely drained now!

Yesterday we started dismantling the pool. This morning as I was heading over to the house where it lives now, I had this scary thought. We have disconnected the posts from the top ring and in fact removed one of the posts. So I had this vision of taking out the 102 bolts or so holding the pool together and this vicious recoiling thing happening as the wall tries to curl up into itself.

I talked to a good and handy friend earlier, unfortunately who lives out of town, and sent him some pictures. He assured me all was well. I'm going to came back in a few minutes and try to post pictures as I seem to be out of space or my camera pics are too large.

In the meantime...we removed the plastic along the top, all of it. And we have disconnected the posts from the top. All but one posts are still connected to the bottom. There is a track along the bottom and at the bottom there are caps or another piece of plastic that the posts are attached too and this cap seems to be firmly attached to this track. The track is in the ground. The wall also seems to be down in the ground an inch or two. And for these reasons, my friend said, the wall won't viciously recoil. He said the wall will probably try to fall flat.

For those of you who have done this, what has your experience been? Okay for me to go ahead and remove the rest of the posts while I wait for help? (This is a 15 X 48 pool.)

Also, one friend who helped me yesterday has other plans today. The other friend is taking care of errands and such before coming to help today but those may run long. I'm checking in with neighbors and more friends to see if anyone could help. I'm also asking for recommendations of a handyman to help. As I understand it I definitely want someone else to help me with this, although somewhere I did read that one person said he used a ladder to wrap the pool around and managed to do it himself. I'm not sure I want to do that. :)

I've told people that I've heard this can get heavy so maybe that is scaring them off? Can anyone compare how heavy this is to something? A refrigerator? I've told them if I could just get help rolling this up, then it would probably be easy to hire someone to load it in a truck. However, I feel confident with a dolly and a Uhaul truck with a ramp, we could load it ourselves. But whatever it takes to get help. Step by step. :grin:

I'm not sure a AGP installer would help me at this point or not. But does anyone have any recommendations on where I might find help with rolling this up? I may try my neighborhood nextdoor.com site.

Thanks.

I helped a friend dismantle, load and unload a 27 foot round pool. Him and I were able to put it in the back of a pickup. I am in my 50's, and he is in his 60's. It wasnt too bad, we did back the pickup close to avoid carrying it.

Thanks. I got some pictures loaded in Photobucket at AGP by efranklin1030 | Photobucket

I'm in the same age bracket so sounds like it is doable. :) Unfortunately we cannot get a truck close to the long yard full of thick grass. I'm thinking if we can get it on a dolly...I've got some cardboard boxes I've broken down and we could roll it on the boxes placing one box in front of the other, if moving through the grass is a pain.

Thanks again. Will probably head back over there in a bit to remove the rest of the posts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.