Pentair easytouch error code 5

Duude

Jul 31, 2016
Austin/TX
Hi, came home from vacation and my pool pump was not turning on. The pump status indicated no comm and my computer could not longer connect with screen logic. I tried the pump and the screen logic separately with no luck on either. I disconnected both and ran the self diagnostics and get error code 5 indicating the uart has failed. Has anybody tried to replace the uart on the pcb? I have access to very high tech rework, just need a part number and I would be back in action. Also, I reset and power cycled and the same error code is present. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Do you have screen logic + an indoor control panel? If so, are you completely locked out of control(both)? Or just through screen logic (PC and smart phone). If you disconnected screen logic and pump, you would get a comm failure. Are you using Pentair virtual wire? or direct connect to equip? Either network cable to the equipment, or the 2 pair comm wire. I know that you should get just a no comm warning if wires aren't connected, but you never know. If it turns out to be the UART(probably the virtual wire) i would still check wires for chewed/ shorted areas that may have caused the chip failure to begin with. I did once have a board failure that was caused from a chewed wire. Rat chewed enough of the insulation on the power and data wires and then they shorted for... actually i don't know how long they shorted for, days? weeks? probably didn't take much more than a couple of seconds though, if that long.

Wouldn't want the repair to get fried from a bad wire.

Hopefully you are still in warranty, and you can just get a new board.

I just have screen logic and the VS pump connected. I am using the virtual wire for the screen logic. It is a very new install, all wires are very short and intact. I spent an hour with Pentair and they are going to replace my main board. Pretty darn good customer service so far.

Just FYI for those with this same issue, you do have to disconnect all comm wires to perform the UART self test on the motherboard. If you get error code 5 with everything disconnected, your main board is defective. A faulty wire would take out all communication too. So disconnecting them and getting a self test pass would tell you that a wire or some other UART port, pump or something, is bad. For the self test to be executed, you have to select open circuit in the menu. Also, no chewed wires or shorted wires should kill the UART port. Pentair designed the port with SIDACtor P03A surge protectors and an intersil 81483 RS485 transceiver. The P03As are made for DSL line protection, so these are pretty beefy.

I hope pentair does failure analysis on my board so I know what took it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.