Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool balance question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool balance question

I have a quick question about my pool chemicals. I have an above ground pool as you can see from my signature below. All of my chemical levels are on point except for the Calcium Hardness. I know this level doesn't matter much for above ground pools. My level right now is 100 but wanted to see if that was OK or if I needed to raise it any. The water clarity is crystal clear just wanting to make sure of the next step. 2 months ago it was around 200, so it has fallen about 50PPM a month.
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    23" Hayward Sand Filter S230T, 1.5HP Matrix Pump
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool balance question

You are correct CH does not matter in vinyl pools...above ground or in ground.

It is unusual for CH to go down, however. CH normally goes up (slowly)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Calcium makes no difference in your pool. Keeping the level above 50ppm should be good enough to reduce any kind of foaming (calcium inhibits bubble formation) that could possibly occur. Other than that, it does not matter. Do note that adding calcium products to your water will cause temporary clouding.

You could, if you wanted to save on lugging jugs of chlorine to your pool, use cal-hypo for chlorination. Every 10ppm FC added from using cal-hypo also adds about 6ppm CH.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

My CH was 300 to 350 for the past couple of months and yesterday tested at 225. Not sure what causes the drop. Only using SWG, MA, and CYA. Using TFP pool math, what is your CSI?
    AG Round Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48", 5050 gallons
    Intex 28681EG / CS20110 Combo Sand Filter Pump & Salt Water System
    Intex Auto Pool Cleaner, Intex Wall Mount Skimmer, Intex LED Pool Sprayer
    TF-100, K-1766, Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

fareal... I don't use borats or salt but I input all the numbers in pool math and the now was 0.08 and target was 0.36. I have never looked at that before so Idk if that even applies to me honestly. I didn't think CH mattered with my pool but didn't want to just assume something. I will keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't drop below 50. I recently started using the speed stir so maybe i wasn't mixing the test samples completely before. My current numbers are below.

FC - 5
    pH- 7.8
    TA - 130
    CH - 100
    CYA - 40

Thanks again for the quick response and advice.
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    23" Hayward Sand Filter S230T, 1.5HP Matrix Pump
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit