Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM done - now what

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM done - now what

Last week I have followed the SLAM method to get rid of mustard and green algae. I have a 33000 gallon pool, CYC 60, PH 7.2, TA 100. My current FC is 6.5, CC is 0, but during SLAMing the FC was 45. Now the pool looks clear. My question is what do I do next to maintain this. Before joining this forum, I will be doing weekly shocking, but since here we don't do shocking, what is my weekly testing schedule and when do I do next SLAM?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM done - now what

You should follow this chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and don't let your FC fall below minimum. In fact, you can keep it a bit higher if you have a heavy bather load or trees that drop a lot of debris into the pool.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's the basic pool care schedule: Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

You'll be happy to know we only SLAM when/if needed. Some of the reasons include algae showing up, CCs above 0.5 ppm, FC dropping to zero, or a contamination event. Some people SLAM when they notice higher than expected daily chlorine demand.

Some of what you said suggests you may not have been following the TFP SLAM procedure. For example, I'm not able to find why you would have SLAMed at 45 ppm FC. This link describes the SLAM procedure. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain and this link describes the mustard algae procedure. Pool School - Mustard Algae
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

If you do this, you shouldn't need to SLAM again. How do you sanitize your pool? SWCG or liquid chlorine?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the response. I did follow the TFP SLAM method, for yellow mustard the FC chlorine level was 45 for CYC 70. That's why I went so high.

I was using Calcium Hychoride 73%, but now using Costco Liquid chlorine.