Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris booster pump volute leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris booster pump volute leak

The top connection on the volute is spraying water when the pump is on but is a trickle when it's just the main pump. It looks like it's coming out between the orifice and the threaded pvc bit.

Is there an oring under there that gave away?

This volute is clamped on not bolted on. I'm not sure which style is newer or how to remove the fitting to change the o ring out.
    13,000 gallons w/ spa (in-ground) | Plaster pool surface
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris booster pump volute leak

So it appears there's no quick disconnect on these. The thread in male adapter on the volute side is glued to some sort of step up adapter to go to my bigger piping (which is 2 or 2.5"?) that is threaded and seemingly glued (with pipe cement?) into the threaded parts on the main lines ?

3. Back To Top    #3

2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

There is a o-ring on the volute and you still should be able to pry the pump away. If it's leaking out the top fitting you will have to cut and replace, you may want to get there soft tube kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the pump disconnected from the volute but I guess I have to cut to get the volute off ?even though it's threaded on both ends ?

6. Back To Top    #6

Up for the weekday crew.

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright had someone come out and re-plumb the stuff with the Polaris quick disconnects.

Now I have a slow drip in what appears to be between the volute and the body.unnamed.jpg

Is that just the large diameter o-ring that needs lubing?

I guess this is the Halcyon model so I've read that the rebuild kits are not as easy to get hold of.

8. Back To Top    #8

Took the body o ring out to lube it and stretched it all out :/.

Time for a new one. Too bad these Halcyon pumps use a different one from the normal units. Grrrr

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Parts for the PB4-60Q Halcyon Booster Pump. If you replaced the volute o-ring, check the drain plug in front, moving clamp around to different location might help

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    Parts for the PB4-60Q Halcyon Booster Pump. If you replaced the volute o-ring, check the drain plug in front, moving clamp around to different location might help

Thanks. I have a kit on order.

11. Back To Top    #11

All fixed up. I swapped out the 8.5" oring for the volute and body seal and all is well.

12. Back To Top    #12

image.jpgSorry to bring up this old thread but I'm having the same problem with a leak between the volute and body of the pump. I had the volute replace a few year ago and over the past weekend the pump started to leak. Of course I came to the board to see what to do. So I bought a new o-ring and lube. There aren't any visible cracks in the equipment and I can't givers out the issue. I need the forum's direction.
    Last edited by rogerbrks; 04-15-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added a picture
    21,200 gal IG gunite, CL 580 sqft Cartridge filter, aqua pure salt system, polaris 480-blue&white, Jandy PDA Remote, (4) Jandy Deck Jets