Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water

I have an Easy Set 10 X 30 Intex pool. Just finally got it successfully set up last weekend after a couple of tries at the leveling thing.

Shortly after filling it I came home one day to find yellow cloudy water. Sorry for not keeping a complete diary of the week but here goes. I have been adding about 1/2 cup of bleach at night. One day last week I decided not to add any bleach, wondering if I might have too much bleach in there. After one day, it didn't make a difference. I think that was Thursday.

So that night I threw in a 1/2 cup of bleach. The next morning I decided to throw in another 1/2 cup of bleach before sunrise. Two hours later when I left for work my jaw dropped when I went outside. I no longer had yellow cloudy water. I had white cloudy water. So I thought I was on my way. However I'm still dealing with white cloudy water. I clean out the filter every morning and I have been running the pump overnight.

For the past couple of days, my readings have been

TC and Total Bromine: 0
    FC: 0
    Ph: 7.8 to 8.4
    TA: 80 to 120

So it seems like I need to add that extra 1/2 cup of bleach in the morning? Thought I would make sure I'm on the right track before I got too far into this. I also have more bugs in the pool in the morning than seems like I've had, if that means anything. I think it means I need to mow the lawn. We've had some short afternoon rainstorms, typical of summer but mostly sunny days.

Thanks.
    Easy Set 10 X 30 Pool using with an Intex 1000 gph filter pump (model 637R) ; Soon to be owner of Yorkshire 15 X 48

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cloudy water

How did you decide on 1/2 cup bleach doses? What test kit do you have? CYA is missing in your test results.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

EFranklin:

Hope you are doing well. As Mr. Bruce suggests, what are your accurate test results and what are you testing with? Your PH seems high and has a lot of fluctuations. In order to perform a complete SLAM, you will need to lower your PH to 7.2 as the liquid chlorine will increase the PH. A SLAM does take some time. There are many variables. If you have passed all 3 criteria, then you know that the SLAM is over. Do you have one of the recommended test kits?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    EFranklin:

Hope you are doing well. As Mr. Bruce suggests, what are your accurate test results and what are you testing with? Your PH seems high and has a lot of fluctuations. In order to perform a complete SLAM, you will need to lower your PH to 7.2 as the liquid chlorine will increase the PH. A SLAM does take some time. There are many variables. If you have passed all 3 criteria, then you know that the SLAM is over. Do you have one of the recommended test kits?
    I haven't bought one of the expensive test kits because I wanted to wait until I have the bigger frame pool to commit to that expense. I did get a test kit with strips and I will go by a pool store today with some water to get a complete analysis.

I may move to a saltwater method but have been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to research that just yet.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read from many people online who have the same pool and maintain the pool with the 1/2 cup of bleach. I think I also used the pool calculator a while back when I first got the pool. I have just over 1,000 gallons in the pool.

I am thinking about moving to one of those floating things but I think will probably move to the saltwater method once my life settles down and I can sit down to research that.

Thanks.
    Easy Set 10 X 30 Pool using with an Intex 1000 gph filter pump (model 637R) ; Soon to be owner of Yorkshire 15 X 48

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you have a 1000 gallon pool you can use the seasonal pool guide Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools.

There is no need to go to the pool store, their testing is usually off and they will try to sell you things you don't need.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

In your situation the best way to remedy it is a drain/scrub and refill.

The Intex pump/filter simply cannot do the job.

But while you are draining and refilling read up on this article in Pool School

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Forgot to mention I did buy a new pump for the pool, which is an 1,000 gph pump. At the time I bought it I believe it is one that will hook up with the salt water thing I'll be buying soon.

Thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a similar pool (12'x30" bestway) and had the same exact problem last week. Pool was perfect for 2 months then all of a sudden got cloudy/yellowish. Tried a SLAM method and did not help. A drain and bleach scrub fixed it. I also ditched the junk 330gph filter that came with it and upgraded to the intex 1000gph also. Good to go now. Definitely need a good test kit regardless of pool size.
    Bestway 15'x36" with intex 1000 gph cartridge filter pump, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Stang Guy View Post
    I have a similar pool (12'x30" bestway) and had the same exact problem last week. Pool was perfect for 2 months then all of a sudden got cloudy/yellowish. Tried a SLAM method and did not help. A drain and bleach scrub fixed it. I also ditched the junk 330gph filter that came with it and upgraded to the intex 1000gph also. Good to go now. Definitely need a good test kit regardless of pool size.
    Thanks. Guess I will try that but with my schedule, I won't be able to do that for a few days. I have another project consuming my time right now.