Looking to upgrade basic pool control to something automated.

matj6876

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2007
DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Folks

I have the following equipment set up:

• Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG,
  • Century A.O. Smith B984 Dual speed 2 HP pump motor powering Pentair Whisperflo pump
  • Century A.O. Smith B625 3/4 HP pump motor powering goodness knows what booster pump that's hooked up to the Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner
  • Really old Hayward Color logic LED pool light

Pool control is dated:
  • Intermatic PB314E 240-Volt Electric Timer Mechanism for the main pump
  • Intermatic T104R3 240-Volt Mechanical Switch for the booster pump
  • A light switch for the pool light

I travel a bunch and was looking to upgrade the control system to something that allows me to see what the pool is doing and control stuff from my cell phone.
I'm OK with the local control being at the equipment. I don't feel like I need an indoor/outdoor wireless control panel or anything like that.

Anyone out there with any experience of what I might be looking for? Pentair Intellitouch? Intermatic Multiwave? Hayward OmniLogic?

I guess I am looking at needing control + load center?

Any advice appreciated! Cheers MattJ

Jandy is the only brand I have personal experience with but I would go with either Jandy, Hayward or Pentair if you think there is ever a possibility of getting a VS pump that way a pump of the same brand will integrate seamlessly.

I have a Zodiac Z4 that the PB provided, I added iAquaLink off of eBay for a little over $100 so if you did that you would be looking at $500 to $600, or you can buy a bundle for around $700. Works great for me, the only thing it does not do is allow remote scheduled changes those have to be done pool side, but you can see and turn on/off from the web or smart phone app. If you want to be able to change schedules remotely then you would need an RS system for around $800. I am sure the other major brands have similar features at around the same price point.

What most people have is automated "Operation" of a pool. What you appear to be looking for is automated "Maintenance" of a pool, which is a much more difficult and costly thing.

For automated operation I would recommend the Pentair EasyTouch only because it will allow you to fully use the Pentair IC40 SWG. If the IC40 is at the end of its life, and you plan to replace it anyway, then any of the major brands should work for you.

For automated maintenance, you will need a system that will provide you with automated operation PLUS... the ability to measure the pool water chemistry and take corrective action if one of the parameters is out of line. Mainly, something that will be able to add acid and chlorine as needed. I really know nothing about this end the process, but Pentair has their Intellichem controller that, in theory, monitors and maintains the pool's chemistry. But, after reading this site, it appears that the Intellichem system is more trouble than it is worth. Maybe someone with this system will chime in...

You said "I travel a bunch and was looking to upgrade the control system to something that allows me to see what the pool is doing and control stuff from my cell phone." The key here is control what "stuff".. If all you want to do is turn things on or off or adjust the SWG's output level, then most automated system will do this. But, if you want to know the pH level or FC level, then that is a much more expensive and complex option.

Jim R.

Thanks Both. Jim, apologies, inadvertent, late night use of the word "stuff"! :)

I'm not looking for automated maintenance just automated operation.

The SWCG is only 1 year old so am hoping it has some life in it. I'll take a look at the EasyTouch first.

The EasyTouch 4 will allow you to control your SWG in 1% increments rather than your current 20% increments. It will also allow you to control each of your current pumps independently. That would leave two unused relays, which could be used to control your pool light.. (assuming you have access from your pad to the light junction box), or pad light, or landscape lighting, etc. The EasyTouch can control four valves, although two of them are dedicated to switching between Pool and Spa mode, but the other two can be used for whatever you want. To connect to your PC or Phone, you will need to have the ScreenLogic Option, which I can't say enough good things about. Controlling/programming the EasyTouch from the little LCD screen on the panel is a PIA. Doing the same thing on the PC is almost a joy..

Not sure if you can buy the EasyTouch with the built-in SWG power supply without also buying the SWG, but if you can, that is what I would recommend. Just plug your SWG in the bottom of the panel and your done.

Good luck on your search,

Jim R.

Jim

Exactly what I was after. Time to do some online shopping. Thanks for the pointers! Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.