Did I just screw up?

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
Came in late and my FC had dropped to 2. My cya is 50 so it dropped way past 4. I have a newborn baby and I just could not SLAM tonight so I added two packs of trichlor shock (I know...) I am so worried I have screwed everything up. From what I can tell from pool calc it will only raise my FC up around 4. That is nowhere near 20...

Needing to SLAM but didnt have time tonight to do all the bleach so I shocked with trichlor. Now, I am worried I have screwed my water up

- - - Updated - - -

I dont have time within the next day to start the process. I didnt have time to start slamming tonight

- - - Updated - - -

What does Ashy mean???

If you had time to add trichlor, you had time to add enough bleach to SLAM.

I believe he is asking you why and not ashy. Why do you want to SLAM? I'm unclear on your reasoning to do so also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
if you read everyone here adds dichlor when they go out of town, so i'd say you're safe. when i had a newborn i switched completely to dichlor until i had a few weeks to test and get back on track. a quick drain and fill put me back to normal in a couple days.

You are probably fine! Just because you dropped below minimum does not mean that you need to SLAM. You SLAM when you have an algae problem. You could perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you need to SLAM but chances are if it was below minimum for just a half a day or so, you're fine. Shoot a little higher than target on your FC and go love on that newborn!

You are probably fine! Just because you dropped below minimum does not mean that you need to SLAM. You SLAM when you have an algae problem. You could perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you need to SLAM but chances are if it was below minimum for just a half a day or so, you're fine. Shoot a little higher than target on your FC and go love on that newborn!

Thanks for the kind reply!!! I appreciate the information you shared. I was under assumption you have to shock if it fell below. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for the kind reply!!! I appreciate the information you shared. I was under assumption you have to shock if it fell below. Thanks for clarifying.

In the same boat with a young baby at home. The pool really doesn't take too much of my time with these method which is nice. I have spent more time tracking down a suction side leak and figuring out how all my plumbing works. Now that I know what I have its pretty easy and takes about 10-20mins of my time each day.

As you have already found out just because you fell below min for a bit does not mean you need to slam. Once you get an idea on how much chlorine your pool will use throughout the day you will be able to adjust accordingly daily to make sure you do not fall below.

Good advice here... I found myself in a slightly similar situation. No baby involved, but our power went out and messed up the timer on our SWG, so it never came on to produce chlorine . Our FC drifted down to 1 ppm over 3 to 4 days and I quickly brought it back up with bleach and got the timers synchronized. I have had not had problems with algae, and it was below the min for FC for at least 3 days. I might have been lucky, but just wanted to say it is possible to fall below min and be OK. Do the OCLT like suggested and slam if you need it. Enjoy the baby and your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.