Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did I just screw up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Did I just screw up?

Came in late and my FC had dropped to 2. My cya is 50 so it dropped way past 4. I have a newborn baby and I just could not SLAM tonight so I added two packs of trichlor shock (I know...) I am so worried I have screwed everything up. From what I can tell from pool calc it will only raise my FC up around 4. That is nowhere near 20...
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Did I just screw up?

If you have some bleach add that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Just checked. I added shock about 45 mins ago. Fc is now 8.5. Is it safe to say that is the highest it will go?can I just add bleach to get me up to 20 now?

4. Back To Top    #4

Ashy are you trying to get to 20 and what did you mean you couldn't SLAM tonight? A SLAM is not a one time addition of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Needing to SLAM but didnt have time tonight to do all the bleach so I shocked with trichlor. Now, I am worried I have screwed my water up

- - - Updated - - -

I dont have time within the next day to start the process. I didnt have time to start slamming tonight

- - - Updated - - -

What does Ashy mean???

6. Back To Top    #6

If you had time to add trichlor, you had time to add enough bleach to SLAM.

I believe he is asking you why and not ashy. Why do you want to SLAM? I'm unclear on your reasoning to do so also.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    If you had time to add trichlor, you had time to add enough bleach to SLAM.

I believe he is asking you why and not ashy. Why do you want to SLAM? I'm unclear on your reasoning to do so also.
    Because my fc dropped below acceptable FC level

- - - Updated - - -

I also don't havr enough bleach on hand to slam

8. Back To Top    #8

Just bring the FC up to normal levels.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you think the trichlor screwed my chemistry up bad?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by lindz18 View Post
    Do you think the trichlor screwed my chemistry up bad?
    The best way to find out is just to check yourself- you have good test kit.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

if you read everyone here adds dichlor when they go out of town, so i'd say you're safe. when i had a newborn i switched completely to dichlor until i had a few weeks to test and get back on track. a quick drain and fill put me back to normal in a couple days.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

12. Back To Top    #12

No, probably not. PoolMath will tell you what each trichlor puck will add to your pool. Effects of Adding Chems lower in PoolMath.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

You are probably fine! Just because you dropped below minimum does not mean that you need to SLAM. You SLAM when you have an algae problem. You could perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you need to SLAM but chances are if it was below minimum for just a half a day or so, you're fine. Shoot a little higher than target on your FC and go love on that newborn!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JesseSchmidt View Post
    You are probably fine! Just because you dropped below minimum does not mean that you need to SLAM. You SLAM when you have an algae problem. You could perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you need to SLAM but chances are if it was below minimum for just a half a day or so, you're fine. Shoot a little higher than target on your FC and go love on that newborn!
    Thanks for the kind reply!!! I appreciate the information you shared. I was under assumption you have to shock if it fell below. Thanks for clarifying.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by lindz18 View Post
    Thanks for the kind reply!!! I appreciate the information you shared. I was under assumption you have to shock if it fell below. Thanks for clarifying.
    In the same boat with a young baby at home. The pool really doesn't take too much of my time with these method which is nice. I have spent more time tracking down a suction side leak and figuring out how all my plumbing works. Now that I know what I have its pretty easy and takes about 10-20mins of my time each day.

As you have already found out just because you fell below min for a bit does not mean you need to slam. Once you get an idea on how much chlorine your pool will use throughout the day you will be able to adjust accordingly daily to make sure you do not fall below.
    10k gal, IG Plaster, 3/4HP WhisperFlo pump, A.0 Smith Centurion single speed motor, Pentair TritonII sand filter, TF100 test kit, Hayward suction cleaner, City well water

16. Back To Top    #16

Good advice here... I found myself in a slightly similar situation. No baby involved, but our power went out and messed up the timer on our SWG, so it never came on to produce chlorine . Our FC drifted down to 1 ppm over 3 to 4 days and I quickly brought it back up with bleach and got the timers synchronized. I have had not had problems with algae, and it was below the min for FC for at least 3 days. I might have been lucky, but just wanted to say it is possible to fall below min and be OK. Do the OCLT like suggested and slam if you need it. Enjoy the baby and your pool!
    1st time pool owner: 16x48 Intex Ultraframe, 5061 gallons, intex SWG, 1500 gph cartridge filter (635T) , Gorilla pad, SP1091LX Hayward skimmer, K2006 and K1766 test kits, high iron well water, Poolmate Metal out, 5 gallon bucket/polyfill filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Now, I have a combined chlorine smell. My CC testing is still zero each day. This is my second season with this pool and I have never noticed the smell before. Any ideas?