Slighty higher CH and ability to drop out sediment?

basod

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2015
Mount Cheaha Alabama
I've been trying to stay away from my Cal-hypo and strictly bleach for sanitizing & SLAM.(10+yrs of pool ownership) - adopting the TFP mindset
During opening I did shock with Cal-hypo until I had time to get bleach and over the course of two months my CH dropped from ~225 to ~175 through rain/fill & backwashing.

I noticed my pool always having a slight turbidity, especially after bleach SLAM with DE on my sand filter for weeks.
Last week I noticed the mustard algae in a couple spots again and lacked bleach to get to mustard algae shock for my CYA of ~30 (this level has always worked for me but I'm removing all metals in another thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/120372-Side-stream-metal-removal-filter-Experiment) and starting to believe a touch of copper may not be a bad thing.

So I slammed with 73% cal-hypo and had the white cloud I'm used to but my water turned crystal clear and dead algae is settling in the deep end and the transition from shallow end to deep end slope. Passing OCLT at 16FC and 0CC crystal clear water. Pool has been brushed and scrubbed to no end and NO lights.

Dosed the filter with DE vacuumed backwashed and repeated twice, still seeing fine pockets of dead algae dropping out -haven't had any rain to vacuum to waste - semi drought here.

Basically the whole situation seems weird this cal-hypo 73% "Refresh Shock" shows no flocculants in MSDS but is working like a floc even with the pump running
Current readings
pH disregard
FC 16
CC 0
TA 80-90
CH225
CYA 30

Prior to Cal-hypo addition
pH 7.3
FC 8
CC 0.5
TA 70-80
CH 175
CYA 30

In your estimation, did you complete the three SLAM criteria (i.e. continued SLAMing until you could see heads or tails of a coin in the deep end), and then take the pool to mustard algae shock level for 24 hours, including sinking all the pool stuff in the water? If so, then maybe just try doing it again while you have the algae on the ropes. You only lose one day of swimming.

Good luck with it.

The first slam was back in late June early July and yes all criteria passed. All this past month the water has had a dull opaque appearance, still clear enough to read a quarter but when I view my blue vacuum head in the water it would look more white and I wasn't getting any sediment. After I noticed the mustard algae return boosted FC to 18 for 48hrs and scrubbed everything. After ~24hrs the calcium fully dissolved and water clarity was perfect as opposed to the previous month. The same I'm used to seeing from my past experience using flocculant and now I'm getting fine sediment in certain areas.

It could be some other environmental factor such as pollen settling out but that doesn't explain water clarity improving

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.