New to Site

Sfpat

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2016
tulsa
Came across this site recently looking for info on restarting my 40 year old gunite pool which I had replastered last week. I've owned this pool/home for 16 years and am self taught in pool care/maintenance (and have learned a lot of lessons). Prior to the replastering, I rarely had to adjust pH or TA as they were very constant (got to the point where I only check them once a month). Chemical consumption was 3" tabs, tri-chlor and occasional algeacide.

The only start up instruction from the contractor was brush frequently (which I'm doing) and expect to use a lot of acid. Acid consumption hasn't been that much thus far (one gallon the first day) but for the first few days after filling the pool the chlorine was consumed daily whereupon my local pool store reminded me to add conditioner. So I added 12 pounds of CYA three days ago as recommended (and confirmed by the pool calculator) and now things are stabilizing. pH dropped from 7.5 to 7.2, but is back to 7.4 chlorine is stablilizing (haven't added any in three days), but TA has been creeping up from 100 originally to 140 today. Current numbers (one hour ago) pH 7.4, FC 3.0, TA 140. Water is crystal clear. Not sure what the next step should be. Add baking soda now or wait a few days for the CYA to fully dissolve.

My other decision to make is whether to rebuild my 16 year old Kreepy Krauly, which while finicky has done a great job in keeping the pool clean, or bite the bullet and get a new cleaner. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: With new plastering, you can expect some pH rising until everything cures. You might want to review the Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page. Definitely stay away from habitual use of algaecides as many of them tend to add copper to the water. Also, tabs are okay for now as long as your watch your CYA and remember that they are acidic and will help to keep pH down.

In the long run, make sure you are testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C and add it to your signature please. Confirm your CYA and adjust/maintain your FC level with regular bleach in accordance with the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). That will be #1 right now. Do not add basking soda. It will only increase your TA which will also allow pH to rsie faster. You actually want TA a bit lower for better pH stabilization. Stick to the TFP Recommended Levels chart (also below) and you'll do well.

Nice to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP!

Be sure to look on the plaster manufacturers website for startup directions and warranty registration.

Why add baking soda? It raises TA and your TA is too high already. More on pool chems here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

It is important to keep PH between7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

My misspeak on the baking soda. Haven't had to deal with TA issues in the past. Currently I'm using a basic Taylor kit from the pool store to test TC, pH and TA but from what is said on this site the accuracy is insufficient so i will be upgrading. I take a sample to the store to test CYA

Welcome to the site. You will learn a lot about your pool based on proven science and not pool store chemical sales. Read up and ask questions. That's what this forum is for. With a good test kit you will learn what your pool needs at that time and only add whats needed. It's starts with a good test kit. FYI. You may already be at the upper end of what we recommend for CYA. You started with fresh water. CYA is not in drinking water and the pool store had you add 12 lb. That should have put 41 ppm in your size pool. Each 3" tab will add 1 ppm. You can now see why we recommend not using tabs.