PV3 vs. Pentair

Jul 30, 2016
San Marcos TX
I'm about decided on installing IFC in my new pool design (first time builder/owner) but want to make sure I've weighed the decision accurately. We have IFC in the budget so I'm mainly concerned with embodied costs of electricity, pop-up unit repair etc. over the lifetime of the pool. A friend suggested I speak with a pool cleaning company to get their take as trades people, who experience it all. I'm waiting on final specs and will have more detail on pumps etc. tomorrow. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I think you would have much less grief with a robotic cleaner. From what I have seen, too many on the forum have had issues with them. But you will also find forum members who love them. Probably because they haven't had an issue with them.....yet.

Anyway one thing you should be aware of is that they need high flow rates and pressure to work properly which means high energy use. Some mitigate this by just running the in-floors a few hours per day.

Thanks! I'm sure this won't be my first post.

My PB replied and said "the in floor uses a 1.5 whisper flow pump but the robot uses a pump as well so it washes out. You can use a robot that is 12volt that works great and has no pump. Its just preferences." It's a $4k upgrade for in floor, and I only get one shot, so I want to be sure...thanks.

I have a Paramount PCC2000 system that is made by the same people as the PV3, I think. It's almost 20 years old and still works well.

In this area we get a lot of sand and dust blown into the pool on a daily basis, so this saves me a ton of work brushing and/or vacuuming the pool. I would highly recommend an in-floor system if you have the need. I run it for 6 hours in the middle of the night when electric rates are low here, so it doesn't cost too much to run. However, for optimal cleaning, it probably does require an extra pump.

Maintenance is actually pretty simple. Parts come out pretty easily, but they are expensive to replace.

My PB replied and said "the in floor uses a 1.5 whisper flow pump but the robot uses a pump as well so it washes out.
That is hilarious. No it is not even close to being a wash. The pool pump uses >5x the power for in-floor as the robotic cleaner. Not even close.

The full rate Whisperflo uses about 1800 watts. Most robotics are less than 200 watts. So in this case it is about 9:1.

Will a Pentair Prowler 820 or 830 clean as well as a pressure cleaner? Or should I save the money with the Dolphin, and have my PB exclude the cleaner from his scope?

Thanks in advance for your help...I think I'm finally nearing a decision, based on your knowledge and advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, some will but I don't know how effective they are at it. I just sweep my steps once a week. Not a big deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.