Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water turning finger nails green

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water turning finger nails green

Copper in my pool water. How do I remove it?
    Intex Ultra frame 16'x48" above ground; Intex 2800 GPH Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model# CG-28669; Hayward H100ID1 gas pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water turning finger nails green

The only way to get rid of copper is to drain and refill. You need to ditch that Intex ionizer system as it constantly adds copper to your water. TFP does not recommend using copper ionizer systems for this very reason.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Best way would be to drain and refill.

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Do you know how you got the copper in there?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm thinking like what "JoyfulNoise" mentioned in his comment below, the saltwater generator. This is my third year with it and it has a slow leak in it. My next question is, do I have to dump all of the water in the pool, can I fix this with dumping half of it? Thanks in advance for any/all the help.
    Intex Ultra frame 16'x48" above ground; Intex 2800 GPH Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model# CG-28669; Hayward H100ID1 gas pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

That model of Intex SWG has an "ionizer" cell in it - basically a copper rod that has a voltage applied to it to cause it to dissolve copper metal ions into your water. The problem with copper is that it is a great algaecide....it also is great at staining pools and causing hair to turn green. Unfortunately, the concentration at which copper ions kills algae is very close to the solubility limit of copper in neutral pH water (pH in the 7 range) and so you will eventually wind up staining your pool with copper scale. Copper scale, unlike iron scale, is actually a lot harder to remove and so any actual benefits from copper are not worth the costs.

Unfortunately, without knowing how much copper is in your water, there's no way to know how much you need to drain. Take a water sample to your local pool store and tell them you need to test for copper metal. They can typically give you a ballpark number.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't really need to get rid of your SWG, just disconnect the plug that goes to the copper electrode, I had one before

8,400 gal 3K GPH pump, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    You don't really need to get rid of your SWG, just disconnect the plug that goes to the copper electrode, I had one before

8,400 gal 3K GPH pump, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    If I unplug the copper electrode it won't produce chlorine, am I able to use the chlorine pucks 'till I purchase a new SWG?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You'd be better off manually adding bleach
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

9. Back To Top    #9

There should be three wires running to the SWG, one to the flow switch, one to the salt cell, large flat one, and one to the copper cell. My earlier Intex SWG had one so I just removed the wire from the copper cell. Search utube and there is even a video of people removing the copper cell.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by LFrankow View Post
    There should be three wires running to the SWG, one to the flow switch, one to the salt cell, large flat one, and one to the copper cell. My earlier Intex SWG had one so I just removed the wire from the copper cell. Search utube and there is even a video of people removing the copper cell.
    This may be a stupid question, but if I'm unplugging the copper cell so that it doesn't produce chlorine that in turn is putting copper into my pool, would just turning off the SWG unit be the same, and I can keep it all hooked up to the pump and pool 'till I get and new one?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    If I unplug the copper electrode it won't produce chlorine, am I able to use the chlorine pucks 'till I purchase a new SWG?
    It will produce FC just fine I used it for almost a year, there it tons of post about this issue in TFP from a few years ago

The corner stone of TFP
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

The copper cell doesn't produce chlorine. The SWG does.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    The copper cell doesn't produce chlorine. The SWG does.
    Thanks for your responce "Mr Bruce" Excuse my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the copper cell?

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

See JoyfulNoise's post #5

15. Back To Top    #15

I unplugged the copper cell, what do I do with the exposed prongs, do I need to cover them up to prevent possible shorting the system from rain/water?

16. Back To Top    #16

I didn't do it, and everything was fine

The corner stone of TFP

The corner stone of TFP

17. Back To Top    #17

Just remember you now are not adding more copper, but you need to get rid of the one you have in the pool, follow instructions in post 5

The corner stone of TFP

The corner stone of TFP

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you so much "Piolin" and everyone else for all your help, very much appreciated!