Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Chlorine Demand test!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with Chlorine Demand test!!!

All - This forum has been so helpful. I have been reading this for the pat couple of weeks.
    My CYA was very high 100+ And no Free chlorine. Worked with a pool store guys who asked me to put Bioactive. Which was not effective at all.

I did couple of partial drains and brought the level to 60 for the
    past week. But still no luck with Chlorine. I am currently using Liquid bleach (12.5%) to shock.
    but still no luck with chlorine levels.

so decided to do the bucket test to determine Chlorine demand.

started around noon with 5 Gallons of water and added 1oz of 6% bleach.
    after an hour my FC was 4.4 PPM and CC was 0.4 PPM

so I added another oz of bleach and repeated this test after an hour and got FC 7.0 PPM and CC 0.4 PPM
    Again added another oz of bleach and did the test an hour later got FC 10.0 and CC 0.6 PPM

At this point I didn't add more chlorine. But after an hour I see FC around 9.4 and CC 0.2

what are my next steps here? Should I go with 3 OZ as the required chlorine and apply or do more tests on the same sample?

appreciate your help. The water is clear

thanks
    25K Gallons, Ganite pool; Pentair FNS PLS 60 DE Filter with SM-20-2 Multiport Valve
    2HP Pool Pump with a 3/4 HP Aux pump for Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner; Jandy Pool/Spa Actuator controlers
    Raypak P-R406A-EN-C Heater; Inline Chlorine Tab feeder not being used

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with Chlorine Demand test!!!

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not familiar with the test your are referring to. Here's is what I would do. Add enough chlorine to raise FC to 10ppm, pump running, brush a bit to mix and test in 15 minutes. If it is below 7 repeat. Once it holds then test your CYA and SLAM the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

The test I am doing is the bucket test in some of the old threads.
    the chlorine level is not stable. After adding 2 gallons of liquid bleach it goes up to 10PPM.
    But vanishes
    25K Gallons, Ganite pool; Pentair FNS PLS 60 DE Filter with SM-20-2 Multiport Valve
    2HP Pool Pump with a 3/4 HP Aux pump for Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner; Jandy Pool/Spa Actuator controlers

4. Back To Top    #4

It doesn't vanish it gets consumed by oxidizing something in the water. The steps I listed will get you past it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Pooldv,
    Thanks. I read the SLAM insteuctions.
    Will follow and post the tesults.

6. Back To Top    #6

As with anything, TFP evolves. What we recomend today may be different from what was recommended in older posts.

My first question would be, what does the pool water look like? Cloudy, clear, green, a swamp?

Secondly, what test kit are you using?

Have you added any other chemicals to the pool, possibly at the recomendation of the pool store?

A Slam is a multil day/week process, not a one time addition of chlorine you can report back on immediately.

Until we determine the cause of your unusual chlorine demand starting a full SLAM may be an exercise in futility.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Tim5055,
    The pool water looks very clear.
    I am using Taylor 2006 test kit.
    i have used Bio-Active as advised by the Leslie's store 6 weeks ago to bring down the CYA with no success.
    I also used local store product to adjust PH and Alkalanity.
    Last season and also until 4weeks ago I was using Trichlor 3" tabs.

But for the past 4 weeks I completely stopped using Trichlor and just on liquid bleach 12.5%

I don't know why my Chlorine isn't sticking. So decided to do the demand test to understand how much chlorine needed for the SLAM process. I understand it isn't a simple process.

TC 0.03
    CC 0.3
    CYA 60
    Alkalanity 82
    PH 7.7
    CH 310

thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I don't know why my Chlorine isn't sticking.
    Chlorine NEVER "sticks" It is a consumable item in your pool that is constantly being depleted by UV rays from the sun and organics (algae-often invisible) in your pool. The rate of consumption is generally dependent on how much algae you have.

So, to get chlorine to stay at a certain level, you must constantly replenish it as it is constantly being depleted.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Your chlorine is probably being consumed by organics. You need to follow SLAM procedures. Until the FC is not being consumed quite so much, test as frequently as possible and keep adding chlorine ti bring it to SLAM level. At some point the cycle will break and you will start getting ahead of it.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mer33 View Post

TC 0.03
    CC 0.3

Alkalanity 82
    These numbers don't make sense/look like pool store testing.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry. The correct numbers are
    TC 0
    CC 0
    Alkalanity 90
    i never got to get the color change with the reagents for the Chlorine test.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

I'm not familiar with the test your are referring to. Here's is what I would do. Add enough chlorine to raise FC to 10ppm, pump running, brush a bit to mix and test in 15 minutes. If it is below 7 repeat. Once it holds then test your CYA and SLAM the pool.
    Hi Tim5055,
    The pool water looks very clear.
    I am using Taylor 2006 test kit.
    i have used Bio-Active as advised by the Leslie's store 6 weeks ago to bring down the CYA with no success.
    I also used local store product to adjust PH and Alkalanity.
    Last season and also until 4weeks ago I was using Trichlor 3" tabs.

But for the past 4 weeks I completely stopped using Trichlor and just on liquid bleach 12.5%

I don't know why my Chlorine isn't sticking. So decided to do the demand test to understand how much chlorine needed for the SLAM process. I understand it isn't a simple process.

TC 0.03
    CC 0.3
    CYA 60
    Alkalanity 82
    PH 7.7
    CH 310

thanks
    Sorry for the delay, I've been driving for the past 4 hours....

Well, then as pooldv points out you will need to start adding chlorine to the pool until the numbers begin to hold. I asked about other products because some things pool stores love to sell create a huge chlorine demand. From reports we have seen Bioactive is not one of them. Generally it's a non chlorine shock or products like yellow out. As Dave points out, chlorine is consumable. Right now there is something in your water that is consuming it at prodigious rates. There are two solutions at this point. Totally drain and refill or chlorine. You are confident that your CYA is 60 so 24 is your shock level. Calculate how much chlorine you need to add to get from 0 to 24 and add that much all at once. Wait 15 minutes and test. Recalculate how much you need to get back to 24 from the new chlorine reading and repeat. Keep doing this until the consumption rate slows. Then switch to 30 minute testing.

If may seem like you are wasting chlorine but there is no magic solution that will remove whatever it is that is in the water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

As per PoolMath for 24 ROOM of FC, I need around 5 gal
    Of 12.5 % Bleach. I am starting the process now
    Will keep you all posted
    Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Remember, pour slowly in front of a return, preferably in the deep end and keep the pump running 24/7

15. Back To Top    #15

After 39 mins I am getting
    8 PPM TC and 9 CC
    I will add more Bleach 3 gallons

- - - Updated - - -

It was after 30 minutes not 39

16. Back To Top    #16

After adding another 3 Gallons
    I did a test after 30 mins

FC 17.5 (I am testing with 10ml)
    CC slightly above 0 as the water haedly turns pink when I add the R003

So as per Pool math I am adding another 166 oz of chlorine

17. Back To Top    #17

After adding another 3 Gallons
    I did a test after 30 mins

FC 17.5 (I am testing with 10ml)
    CC slightly above 0 as the water haedly turns pink when I add the R003

So as per Pool math I am adding another 166 oz of chlorine
    Keep it up. What ever it is in the water is giving up quickly. I have seen some report that the FC went to "0" each of the first few additions.

18. Back To Top    #18

Now the chlorine level is in the shock range
    FC 25.5
    CC same as before

i am running short of R0871. May be I can do couple of more tests

19. Back To Top    #19

Now the chlorine level is in the shock range
    FC 25.5
    CC same as before

i am running short of R0871. May be I can do couple of more tests
    You need to get some ordered. Here you go - TFTestkits.net XL Option. Order tonight and it will ship tomorrow from North Carolina.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ordered the supplies.

i tested just now and I see FC at 23 PPM and CC didn't change

i will add some more bleach and see how much holds up in the morning as I am short on R0871
    thx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast