Aquateen82 ~ Out of pool store products, ready to BBB

The test kit isn't here yet, but I wanted to share a picture that clearly shows that FC 20 has made a positive impact. Beyond SLAM, I have a question about the algae. You can see from the picture that the algae is dead, and much of it has come off the wall. But what should I do about the remaining grey algae that just won't come off? Im brushing a few times a day, and it doesn't seem to want to come off. Even with the metal algae brush it won't budge. Any recommendation on stubborn dead algae removal from pool walls?

IMG_6662.jpg

Your pool needs a little TFP tlc, but is really not so bad, at least you can see the bottom. Maintaining constant chlorine additions to knock back the algae helps to tide things down until the test kit arrives. I opened my neighbor's pool in May (it's a rental, the owners live 1000 miles away) and couldn't see the first step! While the SLAM is a specific procedure, getting ahead of it with CL is still a good thing. Occasionally new members panic (it doesn't seem like you are at all) when they read some of the replies, expecting their pool to become a Superfund Site within the hour. Others feel that some of the replies are a bit overbearing and that following the suggestions are really not that important. Its a SWIMMING POOL, not a nuclear power plant! Welcome to the forum, things will work out.

Vickery, I'm an attorney, I have bigger things to worry about. My degree is in dealing with overbearing litigants and picking winning battles. This forum is the party boat taking me to my paradise.

Trying to think of some things and ideas for your walls. I have a couple. I am VERY hopeful with you seeing the results already that it will only get better with time and your attention!

One idea that should not hurt anything is to rub a chlorine tablet on it. I would wear rubber gloves as that could be harsh on your hands. If it were on the bottom you could just put it on it and let it sit but we will work with it where it and be thankful it is showing improvement.

I don't want you to do much more than just rub it for a few mins. to see what happens. When the test kit gets there we will work on a couple of other ideas if the tablets does some good.

:kim:

Trying to think of some things and ideas for your walls. I have a couple. I am VERY hopeful with you seeing the results already that it will only get better with time and your attention!

One idea that should not hurt anything is to rub a chlorine tablet on it. I would wear rubber gloves as that could be harsh on your hands. If it were on the bottom you could just put it on it and let it sit but we will work with it where it and be thankful it is showing improvement.

I don't want you to do much more than just rub it for a few mins. to see what happens. When the test kit gets there we will work on a couple of other ideas if the tablets does some good.

:kim:

Is it safe to be in there when the water is at FC 20?

It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA. Remember, CYA moderates the FC. 20ppm FC @ CYA 50 is actually easier on the skin/swimsuits than 3ppm FC @ "0" CYA. It's all in the ratio......
Chemistry!

It certainly is not dead algae and sounds a lot like calcium scale.
I would have never thought of calcium scale! especially given the color (grey).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.