Pump not priming on timer...

dannyboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2008
Denver, Colorado
Hey all,

I've been messing around with the timer on the pump to save a few dollars and unfortunately, could not get a prime after the shutoff period. I noticed duraleigh mentioned his pump is about 4.5 feet above the pool and he has the same problem.
The previous owner used to run the pump 24/7. I'm trying to avoid that and he mentioned it was the only way he could get the water to stay clean (He used Baquacil). I'm now BBB so thought I could try taking the running time down to 8 hours and seeing how the water reacted...

In a nutshell. My pool shed is about 4 foot above the pool line. There is 32 foot of PVC from the Skimmer in the pool to the filter. To get it to prime, I have to insert a makeshift pipe into the suction line of the skimmer, fill the filter basket of the pump up with the hose, then cap the end of the makeshift pipe to allow the 32ft of PVC to fill. Close pump basket lid tightly, turn on pump, then run quickly to the makeshift pipe and remove for this to prime.
It's a Hayward 1.5HP pump. Are there any options for me or will I have huge bills every month from running it 24/7 too?
Any advice on your format duraleigh please....
Would a 2HP pump cause enough suction up the pipe to get it to prime so I can use the timer on/off options?
Here's some pictures of my waffle above..

Makeshift PVC inserted
3582589841_2a940782fb.jpg

PVC Capped
3583400814_8815db18b1.jpg

Pool shed distance and height from pool (door open)
3583403332_e64fca5679.jpg

Pump showing drop from basket that gravity of water will cause loss of prime
3582592681_806276d5fa.jpg

Cheers all...

What about a 2 speed pump? Our pool doesn't have such a drastic height difference, but it wont prime on low, I put it on high, prime it, then switch.

Also, maybe you could move the pump closer?

Are there any sort of 'weir' options in PVC that I could put at the skimmer end that would allow water to pass up the pipe to the filter but when gravity were to pull the water back, the weir would close keeping air out of that pipe and it full?

dannyboy said:
Are there any sort of 'weir' options in PVC that I could put at the skimmer end that would allow water to pass up the pipe to the filter but when gravity were to pull the water back, the weir would close keeping air out of that pipe and it full?

You could install a check valve. With the pump being almost 5' above water level that wouldn't be a bad idea. Looks like you've got a bit of water on the floor there by the pump too. If that's leaking from your shaft seal, housing gasket, or one of the drain plugs then you could be losing the water your pump needs to prime while it is sitting idle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.