JEP-R non-responsive

Dec 23, 2012
My 3 year old JEP-R keypad has become non-responsive (other than key-pad lock/unlock). It still runs the current program so my pool is functional, but I can't change anything or initiate any of the manual higher speed programs (such boosting speed to 3k for a minute when I turn on the rooftop solar). At pump start the screen displays *Remote Enabled*, so think the RS485 cable might be broken - plan to troubleshoot today, but separating the front and back of the controller might result in breaking the controller (because of the glue).

Any thoughts/comments?
Thanks
Mark

Can you post a picture of the four color wires at the RS485 connector and the dip switches in the pump?

Use a 1/4" nut driver to remove the wiring access cover at the back/top of pump.

On the back of the JEP-R there is a place to connect a remote controller. If contact points 1, 2, 3 or 4 close to common, then the display will read "Remote Enabled".

Maybe there is something making contact or the JEP-R has failed. Check the back of the JEP-R.

Also, you can try this:
1) Turn off power to pump.
2) Disconnect the 2 center wires (black and yellow).
3) Turn on power.
4) Go into Service Setup.
5) Load Defaults
6) Turn off power.
7) Reconnect the 2 center wires (black and yellow) (1 red 2 black 3 yellow 4 green)
8) Turn on power
9) Reprogram as needed.

I checked for shorts along the RS232 cable, but that's OK.

Followed your instructions but the screen was still showing *Remote Enabled* after disconnecting the 2 center wires (keypad is still dead except for the lock feature). There's nothing connected to the remote terminals. Suspect the JEP-R is dead. At least it still runs my 12 hour program.

Sorry it took so long to respond but I was troubleshooting my salt cell that appeared to die on the same day (SI30+ from Circupool, about 3 years old - they're sending me a new one).

I'll test contact points 1-4 vs ground tomorrow. Probably time to man-up and buy the IQ20-RS finally.
Thanks for the help,
Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.