Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: JEP-R non-responsive

1. Back To Top    #1

JEP-R non-responsive

My 3 year old JEP-R keypad has become non-responsive (other than key-pad lock/unlock). It still runs the current program so my pool is functional, but I can't change anything or initiate any of the manual higher speed programs (such boosting speed to 3k for a minute when I turn on the rooftop solar). At pump start the screen displays *Remote Enabled*, so think the RS485 cable might be broken - plan to troubleshoot today, but separating the front and back of the controller might result in breaking the controller (because of the glue).

Any thoughts/comments?
    Thanks
    Mark
    Built 2005, 15k IG Pebble, bean shaped + spa with spillway, 7.5' deep end, 30" shallow
    1.5" skimmer & 1.5" navigator lines, 2" at pad, 2nd story solar heat, 2.0 hp FloPro VS-FHP2.0 pool pump, Sta-Rite S8M150 Modular Media Filter, Heater (don't know - don't use because of Solar), Chlevachlor RP30 salt cell, 2hp spa Sta-Rite booster for spa
    Jandy RS2/6 One Touch Rev L, 4 relays in use, 2 spare AUX but no relays

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: JEP-R non-responsive

Can you post a picture of the four color wires at the RS485 connector and the dip switches in the pump?

Use a 1/4" nut driver to remove the wiring access cover at the back/top of pump.

On the back of the JEP-R there is a place to connect a remote controller. If contact points 1, 2, 3 or 4 close to common, then the display will read "Remote Enabled".

Maybe there is something making contact or the JEP-R has failed. Check the back of the JEP-R.

Also, you can try this:
    1) Turn off power to pump.
    2) Disconnect the 2 center wires (black and yellow).
    3) Turn on power.
    4) Go into Service Setup.
    5) Load Defaults
    6) Turn off power.
    7) Reconnect the 2 center wires (black and yellow) (1 red 2 black 3 yellow 4 green)
    8) Turn on power
    9) Reprogram as needed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: JEP-R non-responsive

I checked for shorts along the RS232 cable, but that's OK.

Followed your instructions but the screen was still showing *Remote Enabled* after disconnecting the 2 center wires (keypad is still dead except for the lock feature). There's nothing connected to the remote terminals. Suspect the JEP-R is dead. At least it still runs my 12 hour program.

Sorry it took so long to respond but I was troubleshooting my salt cell that appeared to die on the same day (SI30+ from Circupool, about 3 years old - they're sending me a new one).

I'll test contact points 1-4 vs ground tomorrow. Probably time to man-up and buy the IQ20-RS finally.
    Thanks for the help,
    Mark
    Built 2005, 15k IG Pebble, bean shaped + spa with spillway, 7.5' deep end, 30" shallow
    1.5" skimmer & 1.5" navigator lines, 2" at pad, 2nd story solar heat, 2.0 hp FloPro VS-FHP2.0 pool pump, Sta-Rite S8M150 Modular Media Filter, Heater (don't know - don't use because of Solar), Chlevachlor RP30 salt cell, 2hp spa Sta-Rite booster for spa
    Jandy RS2/6 One Touch Rev L, 4 relays in use, 2 spare AUX but no relays