test kit chemical R - 0870 DPD powder

63john

Jul 10, 2016
slidell
I recently obtained the supplement kit including R 0870, and R - 0871 for for FAS/DPD chlorine drop test BUT instead of storing at room temperature instead left powder (closed) on patio table under canopy not in sunlight for three weeks before realizing should have kept inside at room temp. Powder abit caked up but swirled and broke up any small lumps, does this out door exposure affect the integrity of the powder? Now keep it inside.

I'm not sure what color it is supposed to be, but I received that powder which was once was white and next time gray/blue. I have some of each still, and I checked it and they both yield the same results. Not sure if this helps or not but I was wondering the same thing, what color is it supposed to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It usually still works, despite being exposed to conditions that I know you wont do anymore! :mrgreen:

Knowing that you have SOME chlorine in the pool, simply perform the test as usual.....same amounts, same everything.

If your pool water sample turns pink, you are good to go (for a while). Ultimately, you will want to get fresh reagents.

The DPD powder starts out pretty close to white but immediately starts to darken. exposure to moisture hastens that process. I think Taylor suggest get rid of it if it is dark gray and clumps.

On a personal trial, I have found it still works when it is quite dark but that's really when you should replace it. Besides, I can use the extra sales in refill money!! :laughblue:

duraleigh,
On the test kits it says to use a heaping scoop, can you tell me if there is enough to turn it pink, is that is a sufficient amount? All the other tests are so precise, just curious how much powder is actually needed. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best i remember three weeks ago was whitish not ivory soap white but with a little grey mixed in. went to calculator as test showed no FC and test did not turn pink, though it did a few days ago. added 128 ounces kem tek liquid chloride this am will test again in few hours thanks much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.