Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test with TF-100 kit...

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test with TF-100 kit...

Ok so I got my kit and did my first round of tests this morning. Below are the results.

The water is very clear

FC- 6
    CC-0
    Ph- 7.9
    TA- 150
    CH- 350
    CYA- 80-85

I tested the CYA twice and both times it came out really high. The calculator says to replace 50% of my water? Yikes...I had a pool guy put some stabilizer in the pool back in the middle of May, but since then nothing.
    Pool: 12.4K gal, IG plaster (Crystal Stones), Spa

Equipment: Pentair 200 sq. ft. Cartridge, 1x2HP pump and 1x1HP pump (for Polaris), Polaris 280 sweep, Built 2003, CP-3400 Pool Controls, TF100 Kit w/ speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test with TF-100 kit...

Quote Originally Posted by duxthaman View Post
    Ok so I got my kit and did my first round of tests this morning. Below are the results.

The water is very clear

FC- 6
    CC-0
    Ph- 7.9
    TA- 150
    CH- 350
    CYA- 80-85

I tested the CYA twice and both times it came out really high. The calculator says to replace 50% of my water? Yikes...I had a pool guy put some stabilizer in the pool back in the middle of May, but since then nothing.
    if you use any type of 'solid' chlorine it would raise CYA as a side effect, you can use calculator at the bottom of PoolMath page to find out by how much. That's why TFP uses liquid chlorine instead as it affects FC only.

You can live with that CYA level if you switch to liquid chlorine immediately and completely - it very slowly drops on its own + it gets lost during filter back wash. You prob want to increase your FC to 9 ppm as it is currently at the min level for your CYA concentration.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    if you use any type of 'solid' chlorine it would raise CYA as a side effect, you can use calculator at the bottom of PoolMath page to find out by how much. That's why TFP uses liquid chlorine instead as it affects FC only.

You can live with that CYA level if you switch to liquid chlorine immediately and completely - it very slowly drops on its own + it gets lost during filter back wash.
    Gotcha, and thank you. Today is the day I'm switching to bleach so the trichlor is coming out of the pool immediately.

Equipment: Pentair 200 sq. ft. Cartridge, 1x2HP pump and 1x1HP pump (for Polaris), Polaris 280 sweep, Built 2003, CP-3400 Pool Controls, TF100 Kit w/ speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

The calculator is saying to put in 9.1oz of 31.45 muriatic acid.

If my TA is 150, is that enough??

5. Back To Top    #5

50% drain would put your cya around 40, that might be on the low side for Texas. Wait for some recommendations for some of the members from southern states.
    For now you can start by getting the PH down a few points & bring the chlorine up a little.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    Do the overnight chlorine loss test tonight & post your results tomorrow.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

The calculator is saying to put in 9.1oz of 31.45 muriatic acid.

If my TA is 150, is that enough??
    Ah...figured it out. Had to go back into the calculator and set my goal pH to 7.1. Says 59 oz now...I have two waterfalls going for aeration purposes.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ah...figured it out. Had to go back into the calculator and set my goal pH to 7.1. Says 59 oz now...I have two waterfalls going for aeration purposes.
    take it easy with pH, is is very hard to predict precisely. I'd add half of that first, mix, test my pH and then decide what I want to do next. I usually recheck at the bottom of that page where it says effect of adding ... in your case it would drop pH by 1.xx which is below 7.0. It seems you need only 20 oz to drop to 7.4, that's what I'd do actually. It's much easier to add more than other way around.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I just retested and the pH is now 7.2 and TA is 120. I have spillover and waterfall aerating pool.

my question now is on the FC...its at 5.5...but with CYA at ~85 does that mean my FC should be up around 9?

9. Back To Top    #9

Actually I'd consider it CYA 90, so you want to maintain your FC at about 10, with the absolute minimum being 7.

How's your water look??

Your numbers look good:
    FC 10
    TA 120
    CH 350
    CYA 90
    pH 7.2 give you a CSI of -0.14

For a plaster pool you want to monitor your CSI and keep it between +3 to -3. The closer to zero the better
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes raise your fc to 9 minimum of 6. Over time with back washes and splash out and using only bleach your Cya will fall. As it does you can adjust your FC back down.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, thanks I'll use the calculator to figure out how much bleach to put in to get to the right level.

The water is very clear

ive pulled the trichlor tabs out already. Officially doing this the TFP way

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the help...

fc-8
    pH- 7.6

the aerating worked well. I didn't retest the TA or CYA. Will add more bleach tonight and retest in morning. Will also try to add for MA tomorrow to help bring the TA down a little more.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the help...

fc-8
    pH- 7.6

the aerating worked well. I didn't retest the TA or CYA. Will add more bleach tonight and retest in morning. Will also try to add for MA tomorrow to help bring the TA down a little more.
    you might find out over next few days that things don't really change that quickly once you balance your water so you don't have to do drastic adjustments moving forward. It helps if you start writing down your test results and your adjustments so you will be able to look back and analyze how it 'behaved'. This kind of log helps to start 'feeling' your pool, how its water parameters change and how much chemicals does it take to bring them back to balance. Soon you'll know this without looking anywhere .

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks, Max!

I've been documenting what I put in and will continue doing so. looking forward to getting to that point you mentioned....where I just "know".