Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: duck Hunter

1. Back To Top    #1

duck Hunter

New pool owner here as well. I totally get the need for the higher cya when using a saltwater system, but one question I've had is why not run a higher cya when using just bleach? If the goal of running higher cya is to lower the production needs of the swg, wouldn't it also lower the need to add liquid chlorine, in-turn saving cost? Purely hypothetical, as I've already purchased my swg and will be running at the recommended cya levels anyhow. Thanks.

24' round Radiant Metric, Partial IG install, 14000 gal, Circupool RJ30 SWG, Hayward Super VS, 250#Sand Filter, TF100 test kit.

Marion, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG system- why add CYA?

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunterJon View Post
    New pool owner here as well. I totally get the need for the higher cya when using a saltwater system, but one question I've had is why not run a higher cya when using just bleach? If the goal of running higher cya is to lower the production needs of the swg, wouldn't it also lower the need to add liquid chlorine, in-turn saving cost? Purely hypothetical, as I've already purchased my swg and will be running at the recommended cya levels anyhow. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    You could certainly do that. Just remember if you have to SLAM you will need a higher FC level at higher CYA levels than you would at lower CYA levels.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Plus, if you go on vacation you don't have much headroom for using pucks if you have to.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Plus, if you go on vacation you don't have much headroom for using pucks if you have to.
    Good point.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: duck Hunter

Got it, makes sense. Thanks!

24' round Radiant Metric, Partial IG install, 14000 gal, Circupool RJ30 SWG, Hayward Super VS, 250#Sand Filter, TF100 test kit.

Marion, NY