Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where Did It GO??

1. Back To Top    #1

Where Did It GO??

Checked CYA approx. one month ago. It was as 30ppm as I wanted. Yesterday I checked again and got under 20ppm. I could fill tube to the top and still clearly see the black dot in the bottom. I'm using tfp test kit. I rechecked 4 times and still got the same results. I have added muratic acid last few weeks as PH has been going up. New vinyl liner installed at beginning of season,I do not know if this would affect PH or not. I'm trying to figure out where the CYA has gone???
    I have not had to back wash as our normal rains have not happened this summer. I'm in the process of dissolving granular CYA with the sock/skimmer method to get back to 30-40- ppm. Any ideas on the CYA disappearance??
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where Did It GO??

It is a very subjective test to read with a +/- of 10ppm accuracy, so differences in lighting the day of the first test vs the second test could account for the difference. Had you noticed changes in how chlorine was being consumed lately?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As stated above, CYA testing is a bit tricky and subjective to conditions. Also, it may take 48 hours after you add stabilizer to get an accurate reading.
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

yes---- more chlorine use lately--
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

5. Back To Top    #5

I tend to lose some CYA but know mine is from rain overfill/drain. That is why I test it at least once a month just to be on the safe side.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA does also slowly break down in the pool, although the rate is so low it is not a practical way to lower CYA when it is extremely high, this happens faster the warmer the water is, so loss of 10 ppm over the summer when the water is hot is understandable. Monthly CYA replenishment is important for hot tubs tat are constantly maintained at 103+ degrees F.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA tends to drop 2-3 ppm per month, up to 5 ppm when it is hotter.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach