Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does liquid chlorine have a half life

1. Back To Top    #1

Does liquid chlorine have a half life

Greetings,

I was in a local pool chem shop looking for test kits, and that turned into a conversation with Manager/owner(?). As a part of that conversation, he said that liquid chlorine has a half life of 3 weeks. i.e., every three weeks the chlorine because half as weak. So after 6 weeks, your chlorine that started as 10% would be 2.5%

Comments?
    32,000 gallon IG plaster (redone in 2003)
    Filter: Triton II sand
    Pump: Pentair Challenger 1 HP
    Test Kit: Taylor 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does liquid chlorine have a half life

Check post #4 in this thread...........
    Liquid chlorine shelf life
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Woody.

So technically speaking, yes it does.

That said, should I only buy liquid chlorine that has a date on it. I bought liquid pool chlorine from Wal-Mart two days ago and have since looked on the bottles. No date to be found.

thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

he said that liquid chlorine has a half life of 3 weeks. i.e., every three weeks the chlorine because half as weak. So after 6 weeks, your chlorine that started as 10% would be 2.5%
    Bogus, bogus, bogus. It is very frustrating when people make up stuff so they will seem smart.

Yes, chlorine degrades...depending on temperature and % strength.

It is nowhere near three weeks. You can buy 8.25% Clorox and put it on your shelf for 3 months with no appreciable loss. There is a chart somewhere on this forum if you search.

The Manager/owner of that store is typical of the trash information that pool stores freely toss out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

No need to ever buy bleach that isn't date coded......AND........lists the % on it.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    No need to ever buy bleach that isn't date coded......AND........lists the % on it.
    just got back from Lowes and shopped their liquid chlorine selection. To your point, only the Clorox and "Lowes" brand listed the % of available chlorine. However, I have yet to find any markings that are clearly a date stamp. There is some letters and numbers stenciled on the neck, but can't decipher them into any kind of date, etc.

i'll see if a can get a picture on here.

7. Back To Top    #7

Try looking for a 5-digit number like 16204. That would mean that it was bottled on the 204th day of 2016.

8. Back To Top    #8

16 190 and the time in military format

190th day of 2016

9. Back To Top    #9

And if your Lowes stores it outside in the garden center like mine does.... walk away! The heat and sun will degrade the bleach and you'll be paying for weaker stuff.

Shop at places that have a high turn over such as Walmart (gak, I hate saying that but...) or Costco.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Just reexamined my purchases.

Wal-mart Pool Essentials (10% sodium hypochlorite) 16 158 11:19
    lowes Germicidal Bleach (8.25% sodium hypochlorite) 16 014 19:17

This is fun. I LOVE learning stuff.

Well done. ����

Next question: The lowes stuff is 8.25% sodium hypochlorite, but yields 7.86% available chlorine. Wal-Mart doesn't show an available yield.

What at number do I use in my calculator?

Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by poolbrush View Post
    Just reexamined my purchases.

Wal-mart Pool Essentials (10% sodium hypochlorite) 16 158 11:19
    lowes Germicidal Bleach (8.25% sodium hypochlorite) 16 014 19:17

This is fun. I LOVE learning stuff.

Well done. ����

Next question: The lowes stuff is 8.25% sodium hypochlorite, but yields 7.86% available chlorine. Wal-Mart doesn't show an available yield.

What at number do I use in my calculator?

Thanks
    Pool Math assumes you will use the listed %, in your example 8.25 or 10%

I buy all my bleach at WalMart, GreatValu 8.25%. High turnover = fresh stock. It has been on price rollback in our area this season, $2.57 per bottle. Dollar General is still $2.97 in my area and Costco 3 pack comes in over $3 per bottle. As I'm using just about a gallon a day (a story of another thread) it is the most cost effective.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

Neither one is very fresh, especially the Lowe's. you won't get the expected percentage out of them so keep an eye on your FC.

- - - Updated - - -

How much do you have of those? If a lot, you can add and then test FC a half hour later. Then in PoolMath re-enter your original FC for "now" and enter your new test result in "goal". Then fiddle with the percent until the ounces matches your addition. That will give you the approximate current strength of your bleach.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Neither one is very fresh, especially the Lowe's. you won't get the expected percentage out of them so keep an eye on your FC.

- - - Updated - - -

How much do you have of those? If a lot, you can add and then test FC a half hour later. Then in PoolMath re-enter your original FC for "now" and enter your new test result in "goal". Then fiddle with the percent until the ounces matches your addition. That will give you the approximate current strength of your bleach.
    I only had a couple of gallons of each, as I am just starting to learn how to chlorinate with bleach. That's a good idea on how to back into the percentage.

Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

What percentage is the chlorine from pool stores and how fresh is it?

The price is very reasonable for filling the 2.5 gallon containers. Pinch A Penny told me $5.00 after $7.00 deposit on container.

I have a store very close by and that would be the only thing I'd buy from them other than 31.45% Muriatic Acid at $5.68 gal.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Here is a great tool that I keep bookmarked on my phone, (ignore the zipcode search as it's not always up to date):
    Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

This is the definitive post (in my mind at least) on the subject of bleach half life and temperature -

Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature - Page 2
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks to Woodyp and marianparoo for the date of manufacture education.

Armed with that knowledge I will search for fresh chlorine.

What do you all consider fresh?

Thanks