Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cc readings make no sense

1. Back To Top    #1

Cc readings make no sense

Hello all!

Once again, I am seeking guidance as pool water reading make no sense. My current readings are as follows:

Temperature 85
    FC 9 I know is a bit high. My SWG was at 65 % due to heat wave in past weeks, I increased production a bit. Now is off until FC get back down
    CC 0.5 Shall not be this high as my FC has never dropped below 2 PPM
    TA 70
    CH 400 Seems to keep going up depiste rain water and every three week back washes
    CYA 70 so I think as the dot is obscure, but I can always see it. Based on Stabilizer added and rain/bashwash, etc it seems about right.

My CC shall not be 0.5 if my FC has always been not less than 2PPM (not longer than a day) as I check my water daily. Also my CH is concerning as just 1 week ago it was 375 and since we had rain water a few times, so it shall have decrease CH not increase. Please advice.
    Last edited by RESISTENCIA13; 07-30-2016 at 07:02 AM. Reason: add info
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cc readings make no sense

Your FC isn't alarming, it's more than target but that's not necessarily a problem.

Having CC show up just means the chlorine is "working" on something, keeping FC above a certain number doesn't guarantee you'll never test > 0 CC.

I'd chalk the CH up to testing error. You are fine at 375-400, no need to worry.

How does the water look? Is there a specific reason you are concerned?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Also if you let the solution sit too long before adding the drops, it will turn pink. So, it's best to have the bottle (I can't remember the number-R-0003?) ready to add the drops as soon as you finish the chlorine test.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not worry about the FC, just mentioned as I though when you have CC above .5 you need to shock the water and my believe based on other users comments was that as long as your FC does not drop below 2PPM you will not need to worry about shocking the water. I add the drops within seconds and mixing is not an issue neither as I use a speedstir. My concern is the CC? I don't like to shock my pool as it means I cannot use it for days.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RESISTENCIA13 View Post
    I am not worry about the FC, just mentioned as I though when you have CC above .5 you need to shock the water and my believe based on other users comments was that as long as your FC does not drop below 2PPM you will not need to worry about shocking the water. I add the drops within seconds and mixing is not an issue neither as I use a speedstir. My concern is the CC? I don't like to shock my pool as it means I cannot use it for days.
    I think you may be confusing bits and pieces from different threads. To clear us some of your confusion-

In the TFP system there is no 2ppm "floor" of FC. FC is always maintained as a ratio to the CYA in the water using this chart FC/CYA Chart

Most pools will have CC from time to time. As has been pointed out, CC is indicative of the chlorine in the water doing its job. It is when the CC rises to high levels or never goes away that we begin to wonder why. The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is the way to determine if you have organics in your water that need to be dealt with.

We never "shock" our pools. If the FC is maintained in the proper ratio to FC there is no need. When there is a problem we follow the SLAM
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice.

7. Back To Top    #7

yep- no need to shock or even SLAM, I've been using TFPC method over last 20 months and never had a need to do either, it's been calm sailing for me.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Excellent post, Tim.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your water tests look fine to me as well. Unrelated, but do some research here on alternative sanitizers so you gain an understanding of the risks with the fusion soft chlorinator. Is this a new pool? If so, there may be some sequestrants floating around protecting you, but be sure your metals don't get very high.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by RESISTENCIA13 View Post
    Hello all!

CYA 70 so I think as the dot is obscure, but I can always see it. Based on Stabilizer added and rain/bashwash, etc it seems about right.
    Are you sure it's 70? If you can still see the dot, it's lower than 70. Add solution until you can not see the dot anymore.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool is 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Your water tests look fine to me as well. Unrelated, but do some research here on alternative sanitizers so you gain an understanding of the risks with the fusion soft chlorinator. Is this a new pool? If so, there may be some sequestrants floating around protecting you, but be sure your metals don't get very high.
    - - - Updated - - -

If I do that then it read below 50PPM, which is impossible based on pool store reading (I did it only to cross check with my own results) and the amount of stabilizer I had added so far. I will be ordering the CYA standard 50/50 solution to get an idea of when the dot is really gone.....As it's a not clear to me when the done is gone....Some people in the past has stated obscured not really gone as technically you kind always can see the dot if you really try.

Quote Originally Posted by heikejohn View Post
    Are you sure it's 70? If you can still see the dot, it's lower than 70. Add solution until you can not see the dot anymore.

12. Back To Top    #12

Then just a heads-up to check your copper level. Pool stores will usually do the test for you. Don't buy anything they recommend. Just let us know and a metals expert here will tell you if it's getting high enough to worry about, and what might be the best course of action.

Copper from the fusion soft can accumulate in your water and lead to staining or green hair. In the meantime, consider removing the copper electrode. It's not helping your pool and leads to risks you can avoid. You can search in the upper right search box and find information about removing it. If the electrode is already consumed, that works to stop it from putting any more copper in the water.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

13. Back To Top    #13

So far the pool store testing has not shown any metals. What is the electrode? Are you referring to the fusion soft cartridge that was supposed to replace every 6 months? If so, I removed it as per recommendations on these forum.

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Then just a heads-up to check your copper level. Pool stores will usually do the test for you. Don't buy anything they recommend. Just let us know and a metals expert here will tell you if it's getting high enough to worry about, and what might be the best course of action.

Copper from the fusion soft can accumulate in your water and lead to staining or green hair. In the meantime, consider removing the copper electrode. It's not helping your pool and leads to risks you can avoid. You can search in the upper right search box and find information about removing it. If the electrode is already consumed, that works to stop it from putting any more copper in the water.

14. Back To Top    #14

Good to hear. Happy swimming