Sand filter tank rupture deadheaded pump or failure due to age.

We learned today from our pool service that our Sand Filter has a leak and will need to be replaced. We have only been in the home for a few weeks and the crack did not come up in our inspection. Our pool service company owner is coming over on monday to determine how bad the crack is and provide an estimate. This is a chorine only pool (no SWG). What can I do in the meantime to verify the leak, determine potential cost to replace or should I switch filter types (DE or cartridge)?

Last edited:
Re: New Owner of an old vinyl IG pool- Sand Filter leak.

When coupled with Grandma socks(skimmer socks), the sand filter is a fine choice and a fairly inexpensive one. You could install it yourself and save a lot of money.

The filter blew a whole in the side. Pool builder who came buy this morning that it had to be pressure. Also have a leak at the pump line going to the filter. Recommendation..replace sand filter with sand filter, also add check valve on the intake side of the pump from the pool so that I will not need to prime the pump. Pump and filter are at an incline from the pool. Looking at 1300 dollars installed. Also, suggested to add a timer and run pump 12hr a day during season. I have very little foliage around the pool.

with little foliage around pool, 12 hours a day pump run time likely way more than you need.

Unless you have a chlorine generator you can probably get by with 3-4 hours a day.

I run mine daily for only 2! (6 hours on weekends mainly for heating / during swimming)

Thanks. I was thinking around 8 hours. BTW, it looks like the fiberglass sand filter blew a leak due to pressure. I'm thinking the system was dead headed by the pool service guys since no one else touched it. Pump and and motor are fine. No excessive heat..
Now the sand had been replaced 2 years ago but the actual container is older fiberglass containter.

Sand filter tank rupture deadheaded pump or failure due to age ?.

Update: pool filter tank was replaced. A check valve was added on the suction side of the pump to maintain prime.

There seems to be some question if the fiberglass tank failed due to age or did someone deadheaded the pump which caused unusual pressure and caused a crack ABOVE the seam in the tank. Any way to tell if it was caused by pressure vs age?
Tank is maybe 10 years old and sand was replaced 2 years ago. Additionally there was a leak at the pump's output connection to the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.