Intex SWG - scale build-up on titanium plates

tamsd

Jul 29, 2016
Sacramento
We are new pool owners. Here is my biggest challenge at the moment - our Intex SWG is collecting salt scale at a rapid rate. We thought the the SWG we had was bad since it was giving a code 91 after only 1 1/2 weeks of run time. Found out I had the old model. So, I ordered a new SWG. After 5 days of running the new SWG, we had another code 91 and the titanium plates are caked again. My salt level is in range (3100 ppm) and all other tests are within range except the chlorine (since the SWG is not running). We are using vinegar to get the build-up off the plates, but from what I have researched so far, this should not happen weekly but be a part of maintenance every 4 months. I am at a loss here. There has to be something going on with my water to cause the build-up so quickly on 2 separate salt water systems. Please help.

Thanks,
Tams D

Hi, welcome to TFP! It is probably calcium scale, but in order to know for sure we need test results. Just saying "everything is within range" does not give us enough information to troubleshoot your problem. We need to know what the levels for CH (calcium hardness), TA (total alkalinity), pH, CYA (stabilizer or conditioner), and FC (free chlorine). Without numbers we are just shooting in the dark.

I just read your introductory post and it is great that you want to learn how to care for your pool yourself instead of relying on the pool store. We will be happy to help! The first step is to do your own testing. Everything we teach is based off of being able to accurately test your water and add only what is needed. We recommend a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . This includes all the tests for the levels mentioned above and tests chlorine levels accurately up to 50ppm, which is vital if you ever have to clear an algae bloom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.