Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex SWG - scale build-up on titanium plates

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex SWG - scale build-up on titanium plates

We are new pool owners. Here is my biggest challenge at the moment - our Intex SWG is collecting salt scale at a rapid rate. We thought the the SWG we had was bad since it was giving a code 91 after only 1 1/2 weeks of run time. Found out I had the old model. So, I ordered a new SWG. After 5 days of running the new SWG, we had another code 91 and the titanium plates are caked again. My salt level is in range (3100 ppm) and all other tests are within range except the chlorine (since the SWG is not running). We are using vinegar to get the build-up off the plates, but from what I have researched so far, this should not happen weekly but be a part of maintenance every 4 months. I am at a loss here. There has to be something going on with my water to cause the build-up so quickly on 2 separate salt water systems. Please help.

Thanks,
    Tams D
    32X16 Intex Ultra Frame above ground, Intex sand filter SF70110, Intex SWG model CG28669, Intex skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex SWG - scale build-up on titanium plates

Hi, welcome to TFP! It is probably calcium scale, but in order to know for sure we need test results. Just saying "everything is within range" does not give us enough information to troubleshoot your problem. We need to know what the levels for CH (calcium hardness), TA (total alkalinity), pH, CYA (stabilizer or conditioner), and FC (free chlorine). Without numbers we are just shooting in the dark.

I just read your introductory post and it is great that you want to learn how to care for your pool yourself instead of relying on the pool store. We will be happy to help! The first step is to do your own testing. Everything we teach is based off of being able to accurately test your water and add only what is needed. We recommend a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . This includes all the tests for the levels mentioned above and tests chlorine levels accurately up to 50ppm, which is vital if you ever have to clear an algae bloom.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

FAC 0, TAC 0, Salt 3600, CH 230, CYA 70, TA 110, ph 7.8, copper 0, iron 0, phosphates 100
    32X16 Intex Ultra Frame above ground, Intex sand filter SF70110, Intex SWG model CG28669, Intex skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

FAC 0, TAC 0, CH 230, CYA 70, TA 110, ph 7.8, copper 0, iron 0, phosphates 100

5. Back To Top    #5

Are those tests from a pool store?
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. I did take a sample in today because I have no way to measure the salt level. I only have testing strips right now but will be purchasing a kit as suggested above.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK. Great. Just keep an eye on it until you get your test kit and clean it as necessary. Pool store tests are not reliable enough to give you much guidance.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.