Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this "Paste" in my Robot Cleaner???

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this "Paste" in my Robot Cleaner???

For the past couple of weeks, when I empty my robot cleaner, I've been finding this "paste". Looks like fine salt, but does not taste like salt. (and yes, I did taste it...)

It does bubble like crazy when MA is added. I assume calcium, and I assume coming from my SWG. I guess my question is could it be coming from the plaster?

Here are a couple of pics:

Robot Filter Residue.jpg

Like very fine sand.jpg

Here are my numbers:

FC = 6.0
    CC = 0.0
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 90
    CH = 440
    CYA = 50
    SALT = 4100

Unless this is a sign that something is wrong, then I can live with it.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What is this "Paste" in my Robot Cleaner???

How much are you getting over what period of time?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave,

I get about the same amount you see in the pics every other day when I run the cleaner. About a tablespoon full. It has been pretty steady for the past couple of weeks since I got back from vacation.

I can't see it or feel it on the pool floor or walls. I don't "see" anything coming out the returns, but it is very fine and almost clear

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe erosion from your waterfall? Your pH and CH are a touch high, but it shouldn't be causing the CH to dissolve out of the plaster. Check any stone work you have around the pool and see if it is crumbly. Some natural stones do not play well with salt water and need to be sealed annually. Also lower your pH to around 7.2 and see if that helps.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Zea3,

Waterfall only comes on for 10 minutes a day, just to flush the pipes. Other than that it has not be in use lately.

I checked, and if there is any erosion due to the saltwater, it is not visually apparent. Plus, I was under the impression that if it were sand or rock dust, it would not have bubbled when I did the MA test.

I guess I could just shut the SWG off for a week, or so, and manually dose with Chlorine and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks,

Jim R.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

manually dose with Chlorine and see if the problem goes away.
    That's a good idea....my bet is that it will.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School