question re: measuring FC level when fighting black algae

Jul 29, 2016
tulsa,oklahoma
Hello,

We had an outbreak of black algae due to lack of chlorine and have joined TFP for guidance.

We need to raise our FC level to somewhere between the high and SLAM level according to the guidance.

In pursuing this course of action, I realized we need a better test kit. However when researching the Taylor and LaMotte (sp) kits, it looks like they only measure FC up to about 5ppm. Am I reading that right? If so, how do I know when I have the proper amount of FC in my pool for fighting black algae?

Thanks

Greetings,

The article on treating black algae says to keep FC between high end and SLAM level. My question regards accurately measuring the FC level at that high of a content/ratio. Does the TFtest T-100 have the ability to measure high FC? I thought I read that it only read up to about 5ppm. i.e., if your is FC is 6 or 30, the test color would look the same. its seems that an important component of this battle is an accurate reading of FC, so therefore I am looking for the best way to measure that during this endeavor.

Thanks,
Mark

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, one of the reasons both the TF-100 and Taylor K-006 are recommended is that they both have the FAS/DPD chlorine test which will accurately test up to 50 FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.