Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question re: measuring FC level when fighting black algae

1. Back To Top    #1

question re: measuring FC level when fighting black algae

Hello,

We had an outbreak of black algae due to lack of chlorine and have joined TFP for guidance.

We need to raise our FC level to somewhere between the high and SLAM level according to the guidance.

In pursuing this course of action, I realized we need a better test kit. However when researching the Taylor and LaMotte (sp) kits, it looks like they only measure FC up to about 5ppm. Am I reading that right? If so, how do I know when I have the proper amount of FC in my pool for fighting black algae?

Thanks
    32,000 gallon IG plaster (redone in 2003)
    Filter: Triton II sand
    Pump: Pentair Challenger 1 HP
    Test Kit: Taylor 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit Question

Welcome to TFP!

The best test kit value is the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Here's why, Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

question re: measuring FC level when fighting black algae

Greetings,

The article on treating black algae says to keep FC between high end and SLAM level. My question regards accurately measuring the FC level at that high of a content/ratio. Does the TFtest T-100 have the ability to measure high FC? I thought I read that it only read up to about 5ppm. i.e., if your is FC is 6 or 30, the test color would look the same. its seems that an important component of this battle is an accurate reading of FC, so therefore I am looking for the best way to measure that during this endeavor.

Thanks,
    Mark
    32,000 gallon IG plaster (redone in 2003)
    Filter: Triton II sand
    Pump: Pentair Challenger 1 HP
    Test Kit: Taylor 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: question re: measuring FC level when fighting black algae

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, one of the reasons both the TF-100 and Taylor K-006 are recommended is that they both have the FAS/DPD chlorine test which will accurately test up to 50 FC.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon