Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Outdoor video projector

1. Back To Top    #1

Cape May Court House, NJ

Outdoor video projector

I'm thinking about getting a projector for watching movies outdoors by the pool. What kind of specs should I be looking for and how much should I expect to spend? The projector doesn't have to be weather-proof I'll store it indoors.

I have a shed 10' away from the side of the pool and I'll put a screen right in front of it. So I have two places to put the projector: either on the side of the pool nearest the shed, putting it about 9' from the screen and pointing up at about a 15-20 angle, or on the other side of the pool about 25' away.

If it's in the close side, how big will the image be? I'm looking at outdoor screens on Amazon that are from 100-144" diagonal. I assume the projector would have to have keystone correction to take of the projection angle, right?

If I put it on the far side of the pool, how bright will it have to be to get a good picture? (I only plan on using it at night.) Do I look for a certain number of lumens in the specs?
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor video projector

Hi Maestro! Following. I've been reading a ton of reviews on Amazon and I think there are several that would do well if you put it on the side of your shed. The side of the pool is the only option for us and it's over 25ft away too. Most of the projectors I've been reading have a 2 meter distance max and we'd need closer to 7 meters at 25 feet. I'm hoping someone has suggestions for you (and me!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

There are lots of factors when it comes to picking the right projector, don't get too hung up on the lumens, as the number does not tell the whole tale when it comes to brightness, contrast plays an important role also, unfortunately so many contrast numbers you find are really dynamic contrast (there the projector darkens the whole screen in dark scene to makes the blacks, blacker) which many people find annoying. Almost all modern projectors have keystone correction, as well as a myriad of other settings you can tweak. I can't give you too much model specific advice as I use an ancient high end JVC DILA projector that I bought used about 7 years ago.

ps projection size will depend on the lense, some projectors have zoom lenses others fixed length, so projection size at X distance varies from model to model
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas Texas

This is what is going in my outdoor theater.

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1440 1080p 3LCD Projector - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

You can see the build thread going on over here.

Just another build in Texas
    IG 16 x 50 Gunite. 3.5' - 9' depth 37,400 gallons 146LF perimeter and 863 square feet, 3 skimmers, 3 Pentair LED lights, 2 main drains, 6 pool returns, 1 vacuum line, 1 Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, 7x7 Spa attached with 1 Pentair LED Light raised 15 inches and 6 HydroAir Jets, 2 HP blower, Pentair DE60 Filter, Pentair Intellitouch I-7 w/Wireless remote, Pentair SWG 400k BTU Heater, Glacier Chiller. My 2015-2016 build thread.