Intex 18x42 vinyl side pool
Free Chlorine .06
Total Chlorine .11
CC .05
pH 8
Hardness 8
Alkalinity 226
CYA 1

The pool store sold me CYA and offered something to lower the pH which I passed on until I could get your thoughts.

My question is this. I need to vacuum the pool, which is going to cause some water loss. Should I wait to add the Stabilizer and Bleach until after I vacuum the pool and add more water? Also, can I add them at the same time or should I space them out? Finally...how long after adding these two products should we wait to swim?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Are you going to vacuum to waste or vacuum with the filter set to Filter? Unless you are drawing out a lot of sediment or algae, most people vacuum on Filter. That way you won't lose water.

You can add CYA at any time. Is it liquid or solid stabilizer? Granular stabilizer should be added by putting it into a large sock and putting the sock in the skimmer or hanging it in front of a return. CYA takes some time to dissolve so it's best to hold it inside a sock, squeezing it from time to time until it dissolves. If you are going to vacuum to waste, add the stabilizer after doing so.

While the stablizer is dissolving you can add bleach any time. Always add it in front of a running return, pouring slowly. Think a pencil width stream.

The best product to lower pH is muriatic acid. It's a caustic liquid so use care when adding it. Solid pH reducers are OK to use but using them for long periods can cause sulfate build up (crystalline deposits) over time.

I started vacuuming to waste and then lost suction, hooked the hose back up to the pool, and had low pressure. After fuming for a while and looking through the boards here, I realized that my brand new filter was clogged, and my pool bottom had a LOT more sediment than I originally thought. After cleaning out the filter my pressure is back to normal. If I am vacuuming to waste should I remove the filter? CAN I remove the filter and still run the pump? Thank you so much for your help!

The CYA was granular and I have it dissolving in water, as instructed by the pool store....wish I'd waited to do that.

I'll pick up some muriatic acid as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.