Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Chlorine Calculation

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Chlorine Calculation

Can someone check my math and see if I'm doing this correctly?

I have a pentair IC 40 which claims to produce 635g of 'pure chlorine' per 24 h period (I assume this is at 100%).
    so I run my pump 12 hours (3 hours, 4 times per day due to time of use pricing). I feel that gives sufficient turnover and skimming action..

I've read I need to replace about 2.5 ppm daily of chlorine.

SO... I *think* this is correct:
    according to pool math, 635g of Chlorine Gas (I think) is a rise of 6.4
    in 12 hours that's a rise of 3.2

running the unit at 80% should give me 5.12ppm in 24 hours, so at 12 hours run time it should be just over 2.5

Am I making sense?

Joey
    18x36 extended octogon IG Vinyl, ~ 110,000L (~29,000 gal)
    Jacuzzi FM24 Sand Filter, Hayward SuperPumpII 1hp
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG - IC-40
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Chlorine Calculation

Yes, but there are other factors. Amount of sunlight, CYA level and bather load are factors. Run it at 100% with pump at 12 hours. Measure your FC level before, then the next day or two. If chlorine is going up, you can either turn down the pump run time or the SWCG. (I'd recommend turning down the pump run time. It uses more energy.)
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

You should not need anywhere close to 2.5 ppm per day. If your CYA is at 80 ppm (4 ppm FC target), extinction should not be more than 25% so at most you should only need 1 ppm per day.

Also, I hope you are not running 12 hours per day for turnover because that is pretty much a meaningless metric. Please read this: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

5 hours of run time per day should meet both the SWG and skimming requirements.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post

Also, I hope you are not running 12 hours per day for turnover because that is pretty much a meaningless metric.

5 hours of run time per day should meet both the SWG and skimming requirements.
    Not for turnover per se, more that if I run it less than that, there's SO MANY leaves in the pool. There's a large tree over the pool which I like, and we have a very small skimmer compared to the size of the pool in my opinion.

Sent from a tiny keyboard.
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Get a solar skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Yaniv View Post
    Get a solar skimmer
    Having never heard of this a quick google search turned up the solar breeze, which while seeming totally awesome and geeky at the same time, has a pretty hefty price tag. Not sure how long I'd have to not run my pump to save money on the $750 price tag.

TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

This chart should help you with figuring out how long to run the SWG.

The factor here is knowing the FC demand for a 24 hour period. You can determine this by increasing FC to higher than needed, test, wait 24 hours and then test again. The difference is the FC loss. The more days that you do that and average them, the more accurate it would be.

See the SWG Calculator link in my signature for the process to tweak the run-time / % output until the FC is staying fairly consistent day to day.

Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    This chart should help you with figuring out how long to run the SWG.

See the SWG Calculator link in my signature for the process to tweak the run-time / % output until the FC is staying fairly consistent day to day.
    This. Is. Excellent.

You can determine this by increasing FC to higher than needed, test, wait 24 hours and then test again. The difference is the FC loss. The more days that you do that and average them, the more accurate it would be.
    I am mid SLAM right now, so I could just check it every day as it drifts down to normal (with the swg off). I suspect that will take several days. Would that work the same, or is it different at such a high level. My shock level is 24 right now.

TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BestJoeyEver View Post
    This. Is. Excellent.

I am mid SLAM right now, so I could just check it every day as it drifts down to normal (with the swg off). I suspect that will take several days. Would that work the same, or is it different at such a high level. My shock level is 24 right now.

Yes, i did the same thing , especially when it gets done to a lower level.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

See the SWG Calculator link in my signature
    This is a great tool, I sent you a PM about it.
    TF-100 Test Kit