LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My PH has been climbing regularly when normally it's pretty stable. We live in So Cal. Because of the huge fire north of us, we are experiencing a light to moderate ash load in the pool. Enough to see it floating, and some sinking as well as floating in the skimmer basket swirl. I need to get skimmer nets.

Would ash be the culprit if my PH is rising? What affect wood ash have on pool chemistry?

Just a little "deep end" question. Now that my pool chemistry has leveled out, I've got time for deeper thoughts!!:study:

TA was always around 70, (from fill date) Today it's about 100. That combined with the ash had raised PH to about 8.0. Added MA by pool math results to 7.2. Started to areate as well to bring down TA. So much to learn and so much to remember. Thanks

TA was always around 70, (from fill date) Today it's about 100. That combined with the ash had raised PH to about 8.0. Added MA by pool math results to 7.2. Started to areate as well to bring down TA. So much to learn and so much to remember. Thanks

Just FYI here.....aerating won't bring your TA down, it will raise your PH with little to no effect on TA. Muratic acid lowers both TA and PH.

I see. Lowering PH with Muriatic Acid lowers PH & TA. Aerating raises PH without raising TA. As that process is repeated I can lower TA in increments. That's the basic/correct understanding? Is it important where I end up. Is 100 too high?
Apparently I'm only dipping my toe in the deep end.....:scratch:

Thanks for for the clarification.......:salut:

Time to hit the books again......:study:

LOL! It takes a little while for it all to sink in! I had to read all that stuff 30 or 40 times. :)

Yes, you are on the right track with lowering TA a little at a time. Generally, TA above 70 or 80 is how will push PH up. Most folks find their PH stabilizes somewhere between 50 and 70ish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.