Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ash and PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Ash and PH

My PH has been climbing regularly when normally it's pretty stable. We live in So Cal. Because of the huge fire north of us, we are experiencing a light to moderate ash load in the pool. Enough to see it floating, and some sinking as well as floating in the skimmer basket swirl. I need to get skimmer nets.

Would ash be the culprit if my PH is rising? What affect wood ash have on pool chemistry?

Just a little "deep end" question. Now that my pool chemistry has leveled out, I've got time for deeper thoughts!!
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ash and PH

Alright, welcome to the deep end!

Yes, ash can raise PH. TA above 70 or 80 will also push PH up. Also, your fill water, replacing evaporation, could push up your PH and/or your TA. Aeration also increases PH.

More about stuff that increases PH here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TA was always around 70, (from fill date) Today it's about 100. That combined with the ash had raised PH to about 8.0. Added MA by pool math results to 7.2. Started to areate as well to bring down TA. So much to learn and so much to remember. Thanks
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Schnozz View Post
    TA was always around 70, (from fill date) Today it's about 100. That combined with the ash had raised PH to about 8.0. Added MA by pool math results to 7.2. Started to areate as well to bring down TA. So much to learn and so much to remember. Thanks
    Just FYI here.....aerating won't bring your TA down, it will raise your PH with little to no effect on TA. Muratic acid lowers both TA and PH.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is how you lower TA, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I see. Lowering PH with Muriatic Acid lowers PH & TA. Aerating raises PH without raising TA. As that process is repeated I can lower TA in increments. That's the basic/correct understanding? Is it important where I end up. Is 100 too high?
    Apparently I'm only dipping my toe in the deep end.....

Thanks for for the clarification.......

Time to hit the books again......

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL! It takes a little while for it all to sink in! I had to read all that stuff 30 or 40 times.

Yes, you are on the right track with lowering TA a little at a time. Generally, TA above 70 or 80 is how will push PH up. Most folks find their PH stabilizes somewhere between 50 and 70ish.
    TFP Moderator