Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie pool install

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie pool install

I have ordered my new 27ft above ground pool and hopefully will be installing next weekend or soon thereafter. Do you recommend using hose water to fill it up? Our water here is very hard, should I test the water before I fill the pool so I know what I need to do chemical wise? I will be ordering the tf-100 test kit. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Newbie pool install

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool! And good test kit choice!

Yep, hose water is usually the best option. Sure, you can test the tap water ahead of time for a little practice and to see what you're starting with.

Check out Pool School
    Start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    And here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Land O Lakes, FL

Re: Newbie pool install

It would be a good idea to test the water 1st so that you have a starting point. I have hard water too but the main thing with pools in regard to hard water is the calcium hardness but that is for plaster/concrete pools, not vinyl.

No mater, as pooldv said, practice makes perfect and if you do a few tests before you fill, you will be better off. You could even test chlorine with a 5 gallon bucket and .5 tsp of 8.25% bleach will get you to 5 ppm of FC. I am not sure that it will work out quite that way but it will give you practice no less.
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator