Cleaning basket with Hayward EC-40...

Jul 17, 2016
pasadena
So i hard plumed my Intex pool and upgraded to a Hayward 1hp pump and EC-40 DE filter. (It was free :D) and works great! However when i vacuum and need to clean the strainer basket, since the pump is below the water level, theres no way to keep the water (and DE) in the filter.

Is there a trick to keeping the water inside? Does the regeneration handle on top of the EC-40 also act as a shut off? Thanks in advance.

You need(ed) to put shut offs when you hard plumbed. I have one on the skimmer side and one on the return side. Shut them both off and pull the lid off the pump strainer basket.

27726691242_88c33339da_k.jpg

5d32cc204f15c46f4d6ff9dd850bef14.jpg

Got ball valves on everything. The problem is when i pull the strainer lid off the pump, the filter empties along with some DE. Thats why I'm asking if the filter itself has a built in shut off.

P.S. I like your fountain better than mine lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Can't answer that one sorry -- I would think that if the return side was shut off at your ball valve there would be a vacuum created there keeping water from returning out the other side. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I appreciate it. The problem is the basket is lower than the filter output. So nothing comes in from the pool, but 90% of the water in that big canister dumps. Its a head scratcher... maybe just a dumb design.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My basket is lower than my filter output too.. the only difference is that I have mine on the ground and coming up, but with that valve closed the pool water pressure should not be on that line at all, and with no way for air to get in behind I don't know how that water can move at all, because air from somewhere has to replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.