Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning basket with Hayward EC-40...

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning basket with Hayward EC-40...

So i hard plumed my Intex pool and upgraded to a Hayward 1hp pump and EC-40 DE filter. (It was free ) and works great! However when i vacuum and need to clean the strainer basket, since the pump is below the water level, theres no way to keep the water (and DE) in the filter.

Is there a trick to keeping the water inside? Does the regeneration handle on top of the EC-40 also act as a shut off? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning basket with Hayward EC-40...

You need(ed) to put shut offs when you hard plumbed. I have one on the skimmer side and one on the return side. Shut them both off and pull the lid off the pump strainer basket.

Under Construction - Coleman 18' x 48" Above Ground Pool (6200 gal)
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 14", 2800 GPH
    Sioux City, IA

3. Back To Top    #3

Got ball valves on everything. The problem is when i pull the strainer lid off the pump, the filter empties along with some DE. Thats why I'm asking if the filter itself has a built in shut off.

P.S. I like your fountain better than mine lol

4. Back To Top    #4

Can't answer that one sorry -- I would think that if the return side was shut off at your ball valve there would be a vacuum created there keeping water from returning out the other side. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Sioux City, IA

5. Back To Top    #5

I appreciate it. The problem is the basket is lower than the filter output. So nothing comes in from the pool, but 90% of the water in that big canister dumps. Its a head scratcher... maybe just a dumb design.

6. Back To Top    #6

My basket is lower than my filter output too.. the only difference is that I have mine on the ground and coming up, but with that valve closed the pool water pressure should not be on that line at all, and with no way for air to get in behind I don't know how that water can move at all, because air from somewhere has to replace it.
    Sioux City, IA