First pool, first oclt, first slam day 2

FirstVallartaPool

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2016
Puerto Vallarta mexico
Well day 2 after determining my cloudy water was algae [go figure ..rainy season in a hot tropical climate] due to oclt. Went from fc 20 to 11.5 overnight. So yesterday I started slam and got a little overboard with the powder chlorine [that's all I have to work with here at moment [inherited pool and 20kilo tub of pro powder chlorine]. I tested fc 28 [approx half cup added to 4800 gal pool] at sunset. Woke up just tested fc 26.5. Water already looks a little clearer yay!. My cya is currently 50 [ was 40 prior from 80 as I had drain half the pool] so this 20 kilo pro chlorine powder must be the type that contains cya conditioner. Will keep a close eye on it.
Thought I would just post an update.
Thanks again for all the help everyone!

plain old bleach is a perfectly good source of chlorine - so yes, going to the supermarket and getting bleach is fine - be sure to adjust the % in Pool Math to what you are using - and be careful that you are using plain bleach - stay away from anything that is scented or the "no splash" bleach - those "non-plain" bleaches have other stuff in them - you want just plain old sodium hypochlorite

tough to say for sure, but I will take a decent guess...

you say you lost 2ppm FC in your OCLT last night - I will assume that was over 8 hours and that you will consume 6ppm in 24 hours for organics - but you will also burn FC from sun, and I do not know how fast that will happen - your CYA at 50 will help, but your avi does not show a cover, so I will take a wild guess and say another 6ppm for 12ppm total

using Pool Math and the info in your signature (4800 gallon pool), you should get 13 ppm from each gallon of 6% - so 7 gallons will give you a total of 91ppm of FC - at 12 per day demand, 7 gallons will last about a week - and during the slam, the demand should go down as you get ahead of the algae

so my guess is that 7 gallons will be enough, and even if it is not, it will be a good start

Thanks I got 8 to be safe and a friend to drive me! I dumped an entire gallon jug in too see what level it would change fc. So fc was 20.5 three hours ago after the 1 gallon fc is 25.5. One gallon jug of this bleach then raises fc 5ppm for this pool size. Yes no cover and in hot vallarta sun currently.
Good news is other numbers I just tested are pretty good.
Ch 225
Ta 90
Cya 55

Question..is OK to swim currently at these levels fc25?

I will assume you have a CYA of 60, the scale for CYA is no linear, it's logarithmic so no middle reading, for that value your FC target value is 24. It's safe to swing when you can see the bottom of your pool and your FC is between minimum FC and slam value, of course pH between 7.2 and 7.8

8,400 gal 3,000 GPH pump, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.
The corner stone of TFP
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've brushed all twice today And every day since this started..I'm learning...its looking way better as I write this. I will check tonight fc adjust and post numbers in morning as to chlorine loss. Its starting to sparkle already and I've educated a couple of people here in similar situations right now wondering about cloudy pools after trying a few pool store remedies. Thanks man!

The main objective of TFP is to provide us with the knowledge and means to be self-sufficient in our pool care, and avoid to be miss guide by people who don't have your best interest at heart, I was at your stage few years ago... Good luck... ?

8,400 gal 3K GPH pump, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

one thing does not make sense - you said your FC went up 5 with a gallon of 6% bleach - your volume is 4800 gallons per your signature - 1 gallon of 6% should have taken it up 13 if your pool volume is correct - so something is not quite right - either it dropped a bunch in three hours since the last test, or your volume is not correct, or there is some testing error, or the bleach is old - not a huge concern at this point, but I would suggest double checking your FC (run the test twice to see if you get the same number), then adding chlorine right after the test, wait a half hour and double test again - if you do not see the expected change in FC, and your double testing confirms that your testing is consistent, then either your volume is wrong or the bleach is old (it will lose strength when it is old)

pool scimmer overflow.jpgOk well I start now today Re bleach jug strength testing etc. I woke up and just tested fc. Before bed I added a few "splashes" just for good measure and tested water after 30 minutes and fc was 30.5. I just tested fc this am and got 29. Water is sparkly and clear yay. At what point now can I turn off pump and get back to normal filtering and chlorine etc? I will test and monitor jug chlorine strength now going forward more meticulously.
Re pool size I just remeasured. And is approximately 55x181x97 inches [as a rectangle wich is not] or 4177 gallons. So actually I need to update my signature. As if I deduct the loped off corner and fairly big stairs leading to bottom its probably more like 3900.
On another note ...I am adding a bypass to heater and updating some of the plumbing and noticed the overflow outlet on top of scimmer goes to waste outlet from sand filter and out to the street. There is a shut off valve from scimmer overflow line to that waste line from filter and another on the filter waste line out. Should I remove these or? What's the point of having shut offs when the overflow allows needs to remain on?
Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.