It keeps coming back! HELP!!

Jul 29, 2016
Jackson, GA
Hello lovely people of trouble free pool. I'm hoping by joining and posting my pool problems I can actually join the club of a truly trouble free pool. Here's my problem....

We keep getting this dirt like stuff at the bottom of our pool. I have vacuumed to waste once before and we have shocked the pool and it seemed to have went away for a short maybe 2 weeks tops. Now it is back again. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I thought it was algae and the shocking would get rid of it but it came back. We have an above ground 24 inch round pool. 48 inch deep. Our chlorine levels are currently still coming down from shocking so is is a bit high. The water is a bit cloudy and im going to try and post a picture for reference. I have read that it could be dead algae but it keeps coming back. What can I do to fix it? Is it actual algae or dead algae?

Here is the chemical readings

FC-6
CC-0
TA-110
PH-7.4
CYA-75

pool.jpepool 2.jpe

First, if your CYA is indeed 75 (we'll call it 80 just because) the recommended minimum your chlorine should ever go is 7.5% of 80 = 6.0 FC. That is the bare minimum it should EVER be. Bet they never told you that at the pool store???

FC vs CYA is something that the average pool store simply ignores with the end result being that they get to charge you money to "fix" the problem. Here, we don't make any money and don't try to cover up problems.

Reading the 2 topics posted above will get you a better understanding of what is actually going on in your water and how easy it is to control. The basic method is that regular and accurate water testing will tell you EXACTLY what to add, without any guessing.

Is it actual algae or dead algae?
Actually, you have both. On the bottom of the pool floor is dead algae but it comes from the live algae in your pool that is making your water cloudy. Read what pooldv suggests and then come back and ask any questions. You will need to SLAM but read the above articles first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.