Leaking Skimmer Problem Solved

Jul 27, 2016
Bivins/Texas
I am a new member. I joined this site because I am installing a DIY inground vinyl pool. Everything was going good until I started filling the pool and found skimmer was leaking. This site was very helpful in showing the different options to access and address the problem. I saw posts on replacing the gaskets, using silicon to patch leak ect. Even though I was sure I had installed the skimmer correctly the best advice I got was from a couple of member posts that stated if the skimmer is leaking it is more than likely installed wrong. After looking at the problem and thinking about it for a couple of days (Im slow) I realized what the problem was.

My skimmer came with a kit to hold it in place until the faceplate is screwed on. When I mounted the skimmer with the kit I mounted it to far back in the opening of the pool wall. When I installed the faceplate it would bottom out against the pool wall before it could pull the gaskets between the faceplate and skimmer tight. Also, I had the mounting kit so tight that it would not let the skimmer pull forward to meet the faceplate. I loosened the mounting kit so the skimmer could pull forward. After I reinstalled the faceplate and got it good and tight I refilled the pool and the skimmer is dry as a bone.

I

Many minds are better than one, sometime a different perspective is all we need to see the light. I'm glad you were able to get it sealed and thanks for taking the time to explain the resolution and show your appreciation. We are often left with problems but not the solutions, your posts will help others in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.