Dreaded Algae

We are new to having a pool, so don't have much experience with taking care of one. We seemed to be doing pretty good with it, but then we went out of town and when we returned last Saturday it was green. We were still able to see the bottom though. I'd been using the Taylor 2006 and all levels were good prior to use leaving. When we returned we were at 0 FC. I added a half a bag of SHOCK from Leslie's and started vacuuming away. It was getting less green, but looked cloudy. At that point, our TA was high, so I added acid. The morning after adding the acid things were looking pretty good, but we were still getting a lot of green in the filter and could still see some settled on the bottom along the seams. I tested again and the pH was low (slightly less than 7.0). I had to go to work and didn't have any ash. Anyway, when I got home last night the water was getting greener again. I added 10 or 11 ounces of ash. Then because things were green I added 2 lbs of granulated chlorine. This morning things looked even worse. If I remember correctly, FC was at 20, pH was 7.0. I added another 11 ounces of ash. When I got home tonight FC was 15, CC 0.5, pH 7.2, TA 150, CH 200, and CYA is now at 100. I have no idea what to do. Can someone please help me.
Should I just drain the pool and start over?
Thank you for any input.

... When I got home tonight FC was 15, CC 0.5, pH 7.2, TA 150, CH 200, and CYA is now at 100. I have no idea what to do. Can someone please help me.
Should I just drain the pool and start over?
Thank you for any input.

if this is an option- yes, I'd probably do 50% drain and fill up with fresh water mostly to drop CYA to 50 ppm, tested it at that time, adjust pH if needed and then SLAM it. If you drain it completely you'd have to add CYA pretty much right away or you will never win this fight as Sun breaks down FC pretty quickly without CYA. Is your pump/filter are in good working order? SLAM especially requires functional equipment to stir water and filter.

My CYA was at 50 a couple of days ago. I didn't realize how quickly it could rise. If we do drain it completely, should I was it out with soap and water? I'm just worried that if we only drain it half way how we're going to get the algae out. I'll need to read up on how to SLAM it. I do have a bottle of conditioner that I could add, if need be.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and my pump seems to be working well. I put a new filter in on Saturday, and have rinsed it several times per day, most days.

No need to drain completely, you will sup till have to SLAM when you refill because the algae will still be on the pools surface. Just drain enough to get your CYA into the 40-50 range and then kill the algae following this, SLAM Process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.