Pump and filter location

Hi all, my wife and I have recently decided we would like to purchase a AGP and I'm still in the information gathering stage, and was wondering about pump and filter location. Most pools I see have them located as far from the house a possible and was wondering if the was any particular reason for this (is it loud?). I was thinking of placing it under the deck off the back of my house, which is enclosed and approx. 64 inches off the ground, so it would be out of the way and still easy to access. My biggest concern would be noise as this will be our main seating area. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a AGP to see how loud the pumps are. The pump sold with the pool we are considering is a 1.5 hp single speed.

Thanks ,

Brad

I like the idea of keeping the pump and filter out of sight. Just make sure you have enough room to access your equipment to make your life easier.

I use a variable speed pump on a fairly low setting unless I'm vacuuming the pool; it's quieter than a refrigerator. Sometimes you can't even tell it's on. No problem being near the house based on noise if you use a pump on a low power setting.

I would honestly go with a 1.5-2 HP, 2 speed pump if you can swing it, the low speed is very quiet, mine is right next to my house and my deck. High speed is much louder. Low speed yields great savings on electrical bills.

Access is important, we built our deck after the fact and now I have to walk all the way out and around to access the equipment and sometimes that just gets very tedious. So consider everything before hand. Will you have easy access for cleaning/repair, etc.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I would honestly go with a 1.5-2 HP, 2 speed pump if you can swing it, the low speed is very quiet, mine is right next to my house and my deck. High speed is much louder. Low speed yields great savings on electrical bills.

Access is important, we built our deck after the fact and now I have to walk all the way out and around to access the equipment and sometimes that just gets very tedious. So consider everything before hand. Will you have easy access for cleaning/repair, etc.

And to amplify the above...if your filter is a cartridge filter, and the access to the cartridges is via taking the top half off the filter, you have to have that much clearance to take the top off! If it's a sand filter, give enough clearance to open the top to remove or replace sand as needed. :mrgreen:

I'll second or third the comments on the 2 speed pumps. I have a two speed 1hp pump, and can't hardly tell it's running while on low. In fact, it's situated just outside of my den window, and I can open the window at night and it doesn't bother us at all.

BTW, pool dealers are notorious for selling oversized pumps. What size pool are you looking at? I was intially sold a 2 hp single speed pump, which was waaay more than I needed.

I second the garage. I put all my equipment in the garage and ran rigid pvc out to the pool. I love not seeing or hearing the equipment, plus it keeps the equipment out of the element (no sun fading and rain).

I have a 1.5 HP single-speed pump under my deck and the noise is not objectionable, in my opinion. Standing over it you clearly know the pump is running, but the noise would not be intrusive if you stood over it and had a conversation. I'd say it is on par with a high-quality dishwasher. I run mine from 9-5 once the pool starts getting heavy use, but that is mostly because I have a salt water chlorine generator that I set at a low duty cycle in order to maintain 3-5 ppm chlorine without taxing the generator.

Kelly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Antares said:
I recently re-plumbed to put the pump and filter in the garage. Next step: insulation and drywall for the garage. I don't think my JEEP will mind the noise that much. :goodjob:

Whoa! Can the equipment be put in the garage?

I am in a cold zone and was wondering about bringing the equipment in every year. This way I could drain and blow the lines and just keep the equipment in the garage, which is heated with a system to keep it above freezing temps during the winter.

Dang, I may have to update my Head calculation for the pump to run the pipes the extra 15-20 feet to the garage.

I put my pump behind my pool as far away as I could for noise and so I don't have too see it. Just have too remember that the further you put it, the more digging you will do and more electric wire. Be sure to check all the codes to make sure you can put your pump where you want it.

My pool is far enough from the house to not matter, but the pump is not that loud so it would not be an issue either way. We run ours on a timer - 10:00am - 7:30pm - we have the SWG running during that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.