Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump/Pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump/Pumps

Good evening. I'm looking to make an investment in some new pumps. The current pumps work just fine but I have a feeling they are doing a number on my power bill.

I currently have a booster pump for the cleaner. Do they make a pump (VS?) that I don't need the booster pump for? Could I turn these two pumps into one, way more efficient, pump that could also push the cleaner? I have a Polaris 380 cleaner.

Basically I am looking to know if I make this investment, is it worth it? Will it pay for itself with less electricity usage? Maybe after a year of use? Any suggestions on which pumps/pump? Am I even able to get rid of the booster pump or will I always need two with this type of cleaner?

Thank you in advance.

14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris Booster Pump, 2 skimmers and one bottom drain, 5 returns.
    ~My Tremendous SLAM thread~

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pump/Pumps

Well, there're options for more efficient motors but sometimes they require additional wiring such as for a 2 speed. A VS wouldn't need additional wiring but would need additional set-up steps. For starters you can check to see if your pumps are wired 240 or 120 as that's a way to save. Both pumps pull twice as many amps on 120 service than 240 service.

As far as the Polaris 380, no you can't run it off a VS filter pump. You would need to have the 360 that comes with a larger feed line than your 380 to be run off 1 pump. The small feed line of the 380 is too restrictive and although you may get it to work on a VS you'd basically have to run the pump on max speed with 75% of the flow going to the Polaris which isn't very efficient.

The VS pump will pay for itself, it'll take longer than 1 year but certainly possible.

3. Back To Top    #3

How long are you running the pump each day?

If you run your pump 4 hours per day, even that may be too much for a single speed pump, that pump would cost about $22/month at $0.11/kwh.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I have my pump set to run 7 hours a day. Maybe too much. I'll look at the link. Thanks.
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris Booster Pump, 2 skimmers and one bottom drain, 5 returns.
    ~My Tremendous SLAM thread~