Looking For Advice on Replacing It All (Pump, Filter, Hoses, Etc)

Jul 28, 2016
Lowell, MA
Hi all!

New poster here. Pretty new to pool ownership as well... Never owned a pool before buying a house in October 2014 that had (has) an above ground 15x30 oval that is 10,500 gallons. Have since taken the typical crash course in pool ownership and at this point, I think I have a pretty decent handle on the whole thing. I've had a few issues along the way, not the least of which was the liner tearing last year and requiring replacement, but it's all in good order. That was an adventure in 95-degree heat, but it was a good learning experience, along with all the others I've since had.

OK, so when we bought the house, there were THREE old (well, one was obviously old, but two didn't seem too archaic) pumps/motors in the shed. They were all dead. Struck me as odd, and I wondered why they were left behind. Nevertheless, I just chucked them. Never even wondered at the time why there were so many dead pumps. What was killing them? Well, the operational pump (Waterway PH1150-6) died 2 weeks ago. I think, at this point, I have determined that poor power not only killed that, but the previous 3 from the shed. It was all connected to a 100' 16-gauge extension cord that was all I had left behind from the previous owner. Never dawned on me until the pump death that power was an issue. So I've replaced that Waterway PH1150-6 with what amounts to the same exact thing that I found cheap online. Just wanna survive this remaining summer... I also went out and grabbed a 75' (don't need 100') 10-gauge extension cord that now powers it. I know that's overkill, but better safe than sorry. So power issues should now be gone.

Now, the actual filter is an old Proline sand filter, I suspect 22" or 24". Holds 150 pounds of sand. It's leaked all this time anywhere from small to gushing. I finally got around to taking the whole thing apart (assuming a bad gasket or something) only to determine that the body of the filter itself is actually cracked right below the collar. Can't be fixed. Ugh...

So to recap... At present, I have a cracked, irreparable sand filter connected to a replacement, low-efficiency single speed pump/motor.

For the long run, I want to replace it all with, well, better.

The only thing I know for sure is that I want to get rid of the sand filter method and the single speed (12 amp) pump. I don't mind higher up-front costs as long as better cleaning results and electrical savings/uture efficiency makes it sensible. So my fundamental questions are pretty simple... I've Googled all over the place for a lot of good info, but I thought I'd get some actual pool-owner interactions here!

D.E. or cartridge?

Best pump? Two-speed? Variable? I want efficient and quality. I want it all to last. I'm willing to do the maintenance work including disconnecting and storing for the winter (shed or actual house, whatever is necessary). Regarding maintenance, though, know that we have 5 kids, all of whom enjoy the pool while I do all the work. That is slowly changing, but I am a busy man and usually just end up doing most things myself for various reasons... I'm sure y'all understand.

The environment is pretty simple. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day. Haven't yet found a good cover solution over the winter. I merely cover in the Fall while the leaves fall, then once the trees are bare, I yank off the cover because it collapses and is rendered useless anyway. We are surrounded by trees and vines that drop a TON of pollen and other debris throughout the summer usage. I am constantly cleaning because there's always crud on the bottom and just as much on top. This current setup doesn't cut it. That being said, I do try to run the filter as little as possible due to power bills/etc.

So I wanna replace it all. Suggestions? I don't mind going a tad overboard now because this thing is gonna be a part of our lives for probably another 20 years (or more), unless it collapses or some catastrophe strikes.

Help?! Thanks!

Chris

PS. Oh... Right now, a coworker has offered me their Hayward Model EC65 D.E. filter that they used to have on an in-ground pool they filled in 2 years ago. It seems in good shape, but I know NOTHING about these things. I don't know how old it is or anything. The woman (divorcee) doesn't know either. Would this thing be useful to me as a long-term filter? Could this allow me to splurge a bit more on the best/most efficient pump possible? If it helps, I attached a pic I took of this filter's label.

Attachments

• 0728161319.jpg
    0728161319.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 98
Hi Yangcha1,

That's a good start. Looks like a heckuva system. A few questions...

Do you think this would be overkill for my pool, which is AG and half the size of yours? Regarding the pump, is there a 115V model? Even if there is, would that be worth it? How much do you run yours? Basically, I could use some elaboration on the VS pumps and how much they actually save (what is the power draw).

How much are replacement cartridges for the filter? Do you replace them often or simply clean them? And one last thing (and BTW, I have seen this pump before in my research)... What gives with the warranty nonsense about only getting 60 days if installed yourself? That rubs me the wrong way, I admit. I cannot fathom there being any reason why a manufacturer would do that; other than to milk more money from a customer.

Thanks for your thoughts!

CB

The EC65 is a great filter. I had one for several years. Replaced with a cartridge filter because I have no place to backwash and wanted a bigger filter. That filter will work fine for your pool and it will keep the water crystal clear.

But you need to know how many seasons the filter has been used. Are the flex tubes in good shape? If so, it is probably worth it to use it.

Otherwise, I would recommend the 325 sq ft version of the cartridge filter I have. Cartridge filters run much lower pressure which means you need a smaller pump. Or, you can run a VS pump at lower RPM, saving $$.

If you're looking for quality above all else, I would get the cartridge filter, and the smallest VS pump they make. Then run it at the lowest RPM 24x7. You will get excellent filtration and an extremely quiet pool.

I don't know if it is an overkill. I bought the pump from Amazon for $860 shipping free. And my power company gave me $400 rebate. Usually there is no good pump with 115V, because single phase is not reliable for motor. I currently run it 24/7 at about 300watts.

I replace the cartridges every 5 years. I just clean it every two month or so. Replacement of the 4 cartridges costs $150 shipping free from Amazon. But next time I will replace them with slightly better one (about $200). I bought two sets of cartridges, so I can clean them without stopping the pump.

I replaced the pump myself. It has been more than 1 years, and it still runs great, very very quiet. I love it. For a $460 pump, I don't want to spend another $300 installation fee for warranty. But I understand the point of the manufacturer, there are a lot of places you can go wrong if you install it incorrectly. I just replaced it with an old single speed pump from Pentair company, so it is much easier. If it was a fresh installation, I might let expert do it.

I really like the Pentair IntelliChlor SWG, it truly makes it maintenance free. I just check the water quality every week, adjust a little, that is it. For your pool, IntelliChlor IC20 SWG is sufficient. It also makes my mom feel better, because every time I dump the bleach into the pool, she complains it is a waste of money. SWG cleans the pool silently, so she thinks there is no cost.

Hi Yangcha1,

That's a good start. Looks like a heckuva system. A few questions...

Do you think this would be overkill for my pool, which is AG and half the size of yours? Regarding the pump, is there a 115V model? Even if there is, would that be worth it? How much do you run yours? Basically, I could use some elaboration on the VS pumps and how much they actually save (what is the power draw).

How much are replacement cartridges for the filter? Do you replace them often or simply clean them? And one last thing (and BTW, I have seen this pump before in my research)... What gives with the warranty nonsense about only getting 60 days if installed yourself? That rubs me the wrong way, I admit. I cannot fathom there being any reason why a manufacturer would do that; other than to milk more money from a customer.

Thanks for your thoughts!

CB

It is a bit of work to take the filter apart and wash the filters. An hour or so, maybe more. Depending on the debris load,trees, etc you will have to clean 2 to 6 times per season. We have lots of trees and I usually have to clean the filter 4 times. If you get an algae bloom you will have to clean every couple of days at first.

A sand filter can be backwashed as needed and cleaned once a year.

More here,
Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi again, everyone!

Sorry to rehash this old thread, but I am about to buy the Pentair 160340 filter and 001018 IntelliFlo pump to get my season going. I had one question... I have HEARD that Pentair provides a 3-year warranty on these things, but only if a "qualified and licensed" Pentair associate installs it all. If not, they shrink the warranty to 6 months. God knows I don't want $1500 worth of stuff with only a 6-month warranty on them... Is their truth to this? I am hearing all sorts of different things. Anyone know the deal? I ask because IF I do need to go find some "legit" installer, I need to find one near me (which is not looking all that easy). Or I need to do it myself and risk it. It's not that hard, after all... *sigh*

Thanks!

CB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.