Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Away for weekend

1. Back To Top    #1

Away for weekend

Hi Everyone
    I've been using the TFPM as a first season pool owner and so far so good. This has been such a great resource and makes everything seem very easy. I'm going away for the weekend and not really sure how to prep the pool. It is in direct sun all day and I seem to lose about 3ppm of FC each day. My CYA is 80. Will putting a few pucks in a floater cover my FC loss for the weekend without raising the CYA too much? Thanks.
    14k Gallon, Above Ground
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Union, NJ
    Sun All Day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Away for weekend

How do you normally sanitize your pool?? If with bleach, I'd just take it up to SLAM level and cover if possible.

I wouldn't put pucks in for just a weekend with a CYA at 80. YMMV.

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I use 8% bleach. My slam level would be 31. That's probably 6 gallons or so. Is that totally necessary if I'm only gone for 2-3 days? Can I just add enough to cover my normal Fc loss for those days? I don't get too much debris in the pool either.
    14k Gallon, Above Ground
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Union, NJ
    Sun All Day

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Baker18 View Post
    Can I just add enough to cover my normal Fc loss for those days? I don't get too much debris in the pool either.
    If I understand correctly, FC loss should be thought of as a percentage loss rather than a certain amount of ppm lost every day. So given your target FC is 9ppm, you'll have more than 3ppm loss per day if you bring it above 9ppm. It sounds like you're losing about 33% of your FC every day. So for three days, I'd raise FC up to at least 21ppm. If you lose 33% every day for three days, you'd be at about 6ppm when you got home. If your FC is at 6ppm now, raising it to 21ppm would take about 2.5 gallons of 8% bleach.

I'm still fairly new to TFP though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
    12250 gallons | IG | Vinyl liner | Sand Filter | Emerson 1081 Pump EUST1102 | Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S166T | Pool <10 yrs. old | Taylor K-2006 test kit | SharkVac automatic pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't do math.
    I would dump 1-2 gallons and do the same when you get home.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.