Brand New Pool Owner Messed Up Installation

Jul 24, 2016
Chardon
Howdy TFP peoples,
My name is Andy and I have been lurking on the forums for about a week or so now since a friend of ours turned us onto the site. Great wealth of knowledge that I hope to dive into if I am ever able to get my pool setup for use. brief background, my wife and I purchased a 27' X 54" aluminum wall and resin everything else pool from Lighthouse Pools and Spas. We opted to do the install ourselves (by we, I mean she opted to have me do the install). The grading was a pain, but I got it done. The wall was a pain, but we got it done. The liner went pretty easy. Now to the issue at hand. This is where I screwed up. The water guy had come and put the first load in the pool to set the liner. I hadn't installed my skimmer box on the outside of the pool wall yet. Through miscommunication and a very big misunderstanding (mostly a misunderstanding on my part) I wound up putting some screw holes through the liner before I realized that these screws should have been behind the liner. DOH! So I go into freakout mode. I think to myself, SELF, (I knew it was me because it was my voice and I was wearing my underwear), we have to fix this. There has to be a hole cut in it anyways. So I made some small X shaped incisions to give me access to the wall and the ability to mount the skimmer box to the wall. Problem is the liner ripped out to where my outside screw holes were. So feeling down and defeated I called the water guy and said no more loads of water were needed until I could get the pool fixed. I explained my bone headed move to him. He told me, no worries, we can stretch the liner a tad bit (it had to pull in from the sides about an inch and about an inch up from the bottom. Fast forwarding a day the water guy shows up and we attempt this fix. To my amazement with the help from my wife's hair dryer it stretched very easily allowing my to move the small screw holes inside of where the skimmer opening was. I thought the problem was fixed. Last night we received our final load of water to put the water level to where it was going into the skimmer. The water guy felt the pool wall and assured me all was well, there were no leaks. Like a ding dong I didnt check myself. So this morning I woke up and went out to check and there it was...... A steady drip coming from the right side of the skimmer and a steady flow running down the outside of the pool wall on the leftside. I am in the process of draining the pool to below the skimmer level to assess the situation. I knew looking at this gasket situation that something was not right. But, I know nothing and I took the water guy's advice that it was sealed and shouldnt leak. I guess I am here to ask what would be the best course of action from this point forward? Do I patch over the entire skimmer hole and start fresh? Do I drain it all the way assess if any sand eroded out from my birm that was built up? I am very frustrated and cursing myself for not just paying the $1000 to have had someone else install it. i have included pictures for your amusement. The screws are loose because I was trying to get the gasket to line up properly. I was unable to which is apparent by the leak I found this morning.20160727_162514.jpg20160727_162504.jpg

I'm confused. When we did ours, we filled it up to about 6 inches below the skimmer to stretch the liner. Put the gasket on then poked the screws through the skimmer and liner. Then when all was tight, we cut the liner out of the skimmer. All our screws go through the liner. Course I ain't too smart and am no pool expert. We just followed what the instructions said. Did you try tightening the screws on that side? We went from one side to the other tightening like you would when changing a tire. You must have a different style.

Try a butterfly skimmer gasket with 100% silicone. You don't need those 2 screws that hold it if you have somebody hold the skimmer outside while you put face plate on from inside

Before replacing water and a liner, try anything and everything you can to salvage this one. It might not be perfect but function over form works too. There are many types of "liquid gasket" and or caulking for underwater applications that will seal that off. Your talking roughly about 1/4 lb. of pressure at 6" under water. You could take the face plate off apply some applicable product on and replace the face plate let cure and see what happens. I wouldn't just give up on it that fast. Through bolt it with some 3M caulking etc.

Well the water guy filled the pool after my patch job and the skimmer isn't leaking. Bad news is the return hole is. I am not sure if it's a case of too tight or not tight enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3d2ec39f25fd130ec223a8ba4a6bcae7.jpg
Bring plastic fittings to a firm hand tight then give them a quarter turn. If they leak gently tighten they will generally stop.
I took your advice. I hand tightened it. Then used a pipe wrench to give it the last quarter turn and no more leaks. So here's hoping my patch holds.
Bring plastic fittings to a firm hand tight then give them a quarter turn. If they leak gently tighten they will generally stop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the future - pool lube works wonders.

I buy this from the local pool store - that and if I need parts, are about the only reasons I go in there

Leslie's 68926 Pool and Spa Lube, 3.5 oz

I use it like a Frank's Red Hot commerical - I put that stuff on everything. Really, I buy two tubes at the start of the season, just in case.

Whatever you use, make sure it is silicone, not petroleum based. petroleum will destroy your rubber parts.

-dave

The pool still plagues me. So last night I ran the electric for the pump. I hooked all hoses up to the pump, filter/frog system, skimmer, and return according the instructions. it said to open the air relief valve on top of the filter, i did that. It said to turn the pump on low and allow the air to purge from the system and once it started spraying water out of the air relief to close it. I did that too. The problem is water is still coming out of the air relief, and there is water coming from the band clamp that holds the two filter halves together. The pressure gauge reads 0. I am just not having good luck with this pool. This pump/filter was bought new so this is the first time its been used.

At least half of our fittings leaked at first, mainly because I had never done any of it before. Once I had everything sorted out we got a new pool with more complicated plumbing and I had to start from scratch.

I did a lot of custom PVC plumbing and some of the adapters are... interesting. So when I take things apart for the winter and put them back together several months later I'm not surprised when everything isn't perfect. I've got a comfortable routine: assemble everything correctly and worry about leaks later. They're going to happen, I'm going to fix them and everything's going to work out. I've got a couple extra hose clamps in there, I've used a few dabs of silicone and I don't open the pool for the year without a fresh roll of "Stretch and Seal" tape from Home Depot on hand.

I hate that pump leak- I took my diverter valve off so I could take the winter's dead leaves off the sand inside the filter, and that O ring leaked annoyingly for a while afterwards. That one ended up fixing itself.

So here's how I see your yard: New pool, comedy of errors, leaks. Now you're getting a handle on things and fixing problems while running into new ones. Sounds okay. Other than the extra to-do list that you didn't know you needed, how are you liking the pool?

Lol @RyanMcc. That's sounds about right. Although my kids and wife might think it's more like a war zone. I get good a piping mad. I guess I need to just step back and relax. It will all work out so I'm told.

It's not without kicking and swearing, mind you, but it's more satisfying than writing a check and hoping you wind up with what you wanted. And if you later decide you want something different, it's a lot easier to change yourself than calling up your old installer and trying to explain to him, waiting for their schedule to open up and writing another check.

Enjoy, and welcome to TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.