Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In-line filter for skimmer hose vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Question In-line filter for skimmer hose vacuuming

When I open my pool, and when my automated cleaners break, I fall back on vacuuming using a 1.5" hose through a skimmer port. Which quickly clogs my pump's little prefilter.

Is there a hand-vacuuming filter, roughly as coarse as the one my pump, I can put between the vacuum hose and the skimmer to catch big debris so I don't have to stop and open the pump every minute to clean its filter?

(This seems like an obvious accessory to me, but I've spent time searching and come up empty so far.)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pacific NW

Re: In-line filter for skimmer hose vacuuming

I know what you mean, I had the same issue. Actually split my pump basket before I knew what happened.

This is what you seem to be looking for:

or this (I have this one, gets pine needles too)
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: In-line filter for skimmer hose vacuuming

Check out the pics on PoolSchool....scroll down to "Leaf Canister" Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

I suggest you use this, or the skimmer basket itself to avoid risking a clog in your pipes. A skimmer plate cover will go right over your basket so all you have to clean out is that and nothing should be getting to your pump basket.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter