Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ph/alkilinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Hiram, GA

I dropped my PH to 7.0 and my TA to 60. I misread the poolmath calculator. I have been running consistently high on PH even though I was adding MA. But, I was testing a week later. This time I tested a couple of hours later. So, would it be alright to retest in a week and see if it goes back up? Pool looks great (as always) Also, I haven't been checking my calcium levels (added it twice already) based on TFP recommendations. But, heard that it can be bad for your salt cell to run low on calcium. Any thoughts?
    18,"x 36",IG, vinyl, SWG, Hayward Aqua plus with remote, Jandy cartridge filter, polaris 280, Hiram, GA

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Greenville, SC

Re: ph/alkilinity

Weekly isn't frequent enough for constantly rising pH (SWG, plaster, water features). Bi-weekly maybe. I personally try to check it every other day and especially before having people over.
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

You don't really need any calcium in a vinyl pool, unless perhaps you have a heater?

If you want to let the pH drift up some just get some kids in the water and have'em splash about a bunch. Or use any water features you have such as a fountain.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I would test pH at least three times weekly until you get a feel for it. Soon you will be able to drop back to once a week, I think.

The calcium/SWG relationship you heard about is bogus.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School